5850 College Street, PO Box 15000, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada B3H 4R2
- Cardiovascular physiology
- Cardiac arrhythmias
- Heart failure
- Aging Frailty
- BSc (University of Calgary)
- MSc (University of Calgary)
- PhD (University of Calgary)
- PDF (University of Toronto)
Dr. Rose's laboratory studies the cellular and molecular basis for cardiac arrhythmias that occur due to genetic mutations or in the setting of common forms of cardiovascular disease such as hypertension, heart failure and diabetes. Areas of particular focus include sinoatrial node dysfunction and atrial fibrillation. Studies are performed in animal and human tissues.
- Hua R, MacLeod S, Polina I, Moghtadaei M, Jansen HJ, Bogachev O, O'Blenes SB, SappJL, Legare JF, Rose RA. Effects of wildtype and mutant forms of atrial natriuretic peptide on atrial electrophysiology and arrhythmogenesis. Circ: Arrhythm Electrophysiol. 2015:DOI:10.1161/CIRCEP.115.002896.
- Krishnaswamy P, Egom EE, Moghtadaei M, Jansen HJ, Azer J, Bogachev O, Mackasey M, Robbins C, Rose RA. Impaired parasympathetic nervous system regulation of the sinoatrial node in Akita diabetic mice. J Mol Cell Cardiol 2015;82:125-135.
- Egom EE, Vella K, Hua R, Jansen H, Moghtadaie M, Polina I, Bogachev O, Hurnik R, Mackasey M, Rafferty S, Ray G, Rose RA. Impaired sinoatrial node function and increased susceptibility to atrial fibrillation in mice lacking natriuretic peptide receptor C (NPR-C). J Physiol. 2015;593:1127-1146.
- Azer J, Hua R, Krishnaswamy PS, Rose RA. Effects of natriuretic peptides on electrical conduction in the sinoatrial node and atrial myocardium of the heart. J Physiol. 2014;592:1025-1045.
- Azer J, Vella K, Hua R, Rose RA. Natriuretic peptides regulate heart rate and sinoatrial node function by activating multiple natriuretic peptide receptors. J Mol Cell Cardiol 2012;53:715-724.
Selected awards and honours
- Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada: McDonald Scholarship (2014)
- Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada: New Investigator Award (2014-2019)
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research: New Investigator Award (2009-2014)
- Heart and Stroke Foundation of Nova Scotia: Dr. Greg Ferrier Award (2009, 2012)
- Dalhousie Medical Research Foundation: New Investigator Award (2009)
- In vivo electrophysiology (ECGs, programmed stimulation, arrhythmias)
- High resolution optical mapping (isolated heart)
- Patch-clamping (isolated sinoatrial node, atrial or ventricular myocytes)
- Molecular Biology (qPCR, Western blot, ELISA, histology/immunohistochemistry)
- Blood pressure
- Dent 1119: Physiology
- PHYL 3320: Human Cell Physiology
- PHYL 4680: Cardiovascular Physiology (course coordinator)
- PHYL 4324: Endocrine Physiology
- PHYL 5513: Endocrine Physiology
- PHYL 5568: Advanced Cardiovascular Physiology (course coordinator)