Strengthen your skills
Whether you’re a student with a heavy workload or a faculty member with a busy practice and family life, videos can be an easy, convenient way to enhance your education. The videos below have been specifically chosen to help you hone your critical thinking (CT) skills.
- An Overview of CT by the Critical Thinking Foundation — Linda Elder, president of the Foundation for Critical Thinking, discusses the mission, purposes and goals of the foundation in this brief introductory video.
- Critical Thinking — QualiaSoup, the producer of this video, is a skeptic and artist video blogger from the United Kingdom.
- What is Critical Thinking: A Definition — Gary Meegan, fellow of the Institute of Critical and Investigative Thinking, provides a good overview of CT.
- Critical Thinking Skills — 100th MonkeyNews does an animated presentation of critical thinking.
- Critical Thinking Explained — ProCon.org is a non-profit organization that promotes a critical thinking approach to a variety of controversial issues in an unbiased, straightforward pro-con format.
- How Not to Be Stupid: A Guide to Critical Thinking — Carey Burtt’s short film provides an overview of basic biases, beliefs and fallacies.
- Thinking, Fast and Slow — Nobel Laureate Daniel Kahnemann talks at the intuition versus analytical thinking debate at Stanford in 2011.
- Brain Tricks: This Is How Your Brain Works — An animated cartoon of dual process approach to decision making.
- How Doctors Think - A short (12 minute) talk given by Pat Croskerry to Emergency Grand Rounds, University of Western Ontario, October 30, 2014 (uploaded to You Tube)
- How Doctors Think - A longer (~1 hour) presentation given by Pat Croskerry to Emergency Grand Rounds, University of Western Ontario, October 30, 2014 (uploaded to You Tube)
- In Conversation with...Pat Croskerry - A short (~ 7 minute) podcast (and transcript) of an interview done June 2010 by Robert Wachter on PSNet (Patient Safety Network, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality)
- Assessment of Reasoning Tools - Five videos produced by the Society to Improve Diagnosis in Medicine with support from a grant from the ABIM Foundation. (Hypothesis-Directed Data Collection; Problem Representation; Prioritized Differential Diagnosis; High-Value Testing; Metacognition)