T.J. Murray Visiting Scholar
Whenever you’re working with people, it’s important to take their humanity into consideration. Medicine is no exception. That’s why the T.J. Jock Murray Visiting Scholar was established.
Left to right: Dr. Wendy Stewart (Medical Humanities-Heals Program Director), Dr. & Mrs. T.J. Murray, Dr. Kenneth Ludmerer (latest Murray lecturer) and Dr. David Anderson (Dean, Faculty of Medicine).
We want to help students and faculty better understand the link between medicine and the humanities by exposing them to drama, poetry, art photography, philosophy and ethics.
In early November of 2015, Dr. Kenneth Ludmerer (second from the right in the picture above), our most recent lecturer in this series, gave a well-received public talk, had a conversation with faculty and students on residency education and had a breakfast discussion with our medical students. More information is available below.
Further information will be available once the next speaker and his/her topic are confirmed. Please watch this page for further information.
2015: Kenneth Ludmerer
Professor of Medical History, Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, USA
- Public Lecture: Residency Training in the United States and Canada: Past, Present and Future
- Faculty Address: A Conversation about Residency Education
2014: Gary Block
Family physician, St. Michael's Hospital, Toronto, ON
- Public Lecture: Activism, Activity Advocacy: How Your Family Doctor Might End Poverty
- Faculty Address: Treating Social Diseases: A Practical Guide to Front Line Medical Interventions into Poverty
2013: Anne Basting
Director, University of Wisconson-Milwaukee’s Center on Aging and Community
Associate Professor, Peck School of the Arts
- Documentary Film Screening: "Penelope: A Theatrical Odyssey"
- Public Lecture: "This is the last important thing I will do: Finding Meaning in Late Life through the Arts"
- Faculty Address: The Arts as a Catalyst for Collaborative Long Term Care
2011: Dafydd Williams
Former astronaut, Canadian Space Agency
President and CEO, Southlake Regional Health Centre
- Public Lecture: The Global Village: An Astronaut's Perspective
- Faculty Address: Exploration - Relentlessly Seeking Knowledge with Passion
2010: Ronald A. Carson
Professor Emeritus, School of Medicine, UTMB
Adjunct Professor, University of Texas
- Public Lecture: Medicine as a Moral Practice
- Faculty Address: Medical Humanities: Reading Medicine
2009: Jeff Turnbull
President-elect, Canadian Medical Association
Emeritus Professor of Medicine, University of Ottawa
- Public Lecture: Canada's Health Care System: Myths and Realities
- Faculty Address: Health Care for Canada's Most Vulnerable
View the list of past T.J. Murray Visiting Scholars [PDF - 304 kB].