Dr. Anna MacLeod
Associate Professor and Director, Education Research
PO Box 15000, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada B3H 4R2
- Distributed medical education
- Learning and technology
- Social issues in medical education
- Assessment of learning
- PhD (University of South Australia)
- MAEd (Mount Saint Vincent University)
- BEd (University of New Brunswick)
- BA (University of New Brunswick)
Dr. MacLeod is a social scientist with an active research portfolio. A qualitative researcher, she uses ethnographic methods to learn about distributed medical education and learning with technology. She is particularly interested in understanding the social and material influences associated with developing professional identities.
Dr. MacLeod maintains a Tri-Council funded program of research exploring the complexities of medical education in a digital age. She is currently the Principal Investigator on grants funded by the Social Science and Humanities Research Council of Canada and the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada.
- MacLeod A, Cameron P, Kits O, Tummons J. (2018). Technologies of exposure: Videoconferenced distributed medical education as a sociomaterial practice. Academic Medicine, (in press).
- Hart-Matyas M, Taylor A, Lee HJ, MacLean M, Hui A, MacLeod A. (2018). Twelve tips for medical students to establish a collaborative flashcard project. Medical Teacher, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/0142159X.2018.1426843
- Gorsky D, Barker J, MacLeod A. (2017). Servant and supervisor: contrasting discourses of care and coercion in senior medical school leadership. Studies in Higher Education. DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/03075079.2017.1318366
- MacLeod A, Fournier C. (2017). Residents use of mobile technologies: three Challenges for graduate medical education. BMJ Simulation & Technology Enhanced Learning. DIO:http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmjstel-2016-000185
- Tummons J, Fournier C, Kits O, MacLeod A. (2017). Using technology to accomplish comparability of provision in distributed medical education in Canada: an actor-network theory ethnography. Studies in Higher Education, DOI:10.1080/03075079.2017.1290063.
- MacLeod A, Kits O, Mann K, Tummons J, Wilson K. (2016). The invisible work of distributed medical education: exploring the contributions of audiovisual professionals, administrative professionals and faculty teachers. Advances in Health Sciences Education, DOI:10.1007/s10459-016-9695-4
- MacLeod A. (2016). Understanding the Culture of Graduate Medical Education: The Benefits of Ethnographic Research. Journal of Graduate Medical Education 1(2), 142-144.
- To M, MacLeod A, Huang S. (2016). Homelessness in the medical curriculum: an analysis of casebased learning content from one Canadian medical school. Teaching and Learning in Medicine 28(1), 1-5.
- Jaiswal D, To M, Hunter H, Lane C, States C, Cameron B, Clarke S, Cox C, MacLeod A.(2016). Twelve tips for medical students to facilitate a Photovoice project. Medical Teacher, DOI: 10.3109/0142159x.2016.1170779.
- Gorsky D, MacLeod A. (2016). Shifting norms and expectations for medical school leaders: a textual analysis of career advertisements 2000-2004 cf. 2010-2014. Journal of Higher Education Policy and Management, 38(1), 5-18.
Awards & honours
- 2016 Canadian Association for Medical Education Certificate of Merit
- 2013 DalVision Academic Innovation Award: Development of a Digital OSCE Scoring System
- 2010 Most Popular Article Award: Advances in Health Sciences Education: Theory and Practice. (Mann K, Gordon J, MacLeod A. Reflective Practice in Health Professions Education: A Review of the Literature. Advances in Health Sciences Education: Theory and Practice, 2009; 14: 595-621).
- Association for the Study of Medical Education
- Canadian Association for Medical Education
- American Educational Research Association
- Association for the Study of Medical Education in Europe
- Canadian Society for the Study of Education
- Associate Professor & Director,Education Research, Division of Medical Education, Faculty of Medicine, Dalhousie University (2014-present)
- Assistant Professor & Education Specialist, Division of Medical Education, Faculty of Medicine, Dalhousie University (2011 –2014)
- Education Specialist with Assistant Professor Appointment, Division of Medical Education, Faculty of Medicine, Dalhousie University (2010 – 2011)
- Educational Objectives and Case Writing Specialist, Division of Medical Education, Faculty of Medicine, Dalhousie University (2010)
- Sessional Faculty, Faculty of Education, Acadia University (Interprofessional Health Sciences Cohort) (2010 - present)
- Adjunct Professor, School of Education, Saint Francis Xavier University (2009–present)
- Graduate Education, Acadia University, Faculty of Education, Interprofessional Health Education Cohort
- EDUC 5634 - Major Theoretical Developments in Curriculum Studies
- EDUC 5633 - Advances in Curriculum Foundations
- Undergraduate Medical Education, Dalhousie University, Faculty of Medicine
- Professional Competencies I and II, Tutor
- Research in Medicine, Mentor
- Research in Medicine, Curriculum Lead (Qualitative Research, Education Research)
Service & activities
- Board of Directors, the Canadian Association for Medical Education
- Member, Dalhousie University Health Sciences Research Ethics Board
- Member, Department of Medicine Education Strategic Plan Committee