COVID 19 Physician Information
COVID 19 Information
Please use this page as a resource during the current COVID 19 pandemic. We will be regularly updating this page.
On behalf of the Associate Dean of CPDME at Dalhousie University, we invite you to view the video below prior to going to work in the ED:
"Patients who are infected with COVID-19 and require intubation require a different approach. Airway procedures aerosolize the virus placing everyone in the room at greater risk. Watch this video prior to going to work if you EVER intubate patients. In addition to these precautions airway intervention PPE is required prior to entering the room and must not be rushed."
A. For airway procedural skills prep, please review the following videos:
- Optimized MacIntosh video - larygoscopy (15:49 min)
- Optimized hyperangulated video - laryngoscopy (12:53 min)
B. In preparation for COVID-19 Airway assessment and securement -- 6 videos to review:
- Preparation before you enter the room (17:28 min)
- Pre-oxygenation (23:15 min)
- Safe first pass success (12:56 min)
- Second attempt and exit strategy (11:57 min)
- Emergency Strategy (6:40 min)
- Grand Rounds clinical approach (47:51 min)
C. In preparation for pre-hospital transport of patients with known or suspected COVID-19:
For physicians, to receive CPD credits (2 hrs.) for reviewing these videos, click on this survey link to provide your information.
- Bulletin 1: Ensuring Our Own Wellbeing as We Care for Others During the COVID-19 Crisis | The Canadian Society of Physician Leaders
- Bulletin 2: Leadership agility in chaotic systems | The Canadian Society of Physician Leaders
- Discussing Goals of Care - A Practical Guide for Health Care Providers in LTC
- COVID Communication Skills --A Playbook of VitalTalk Tips [PDF 735 kB]
- COVID-19 Report: Finding the Evidence for You [PDF 215 kB]
- Choosing Wisely: COVD-19 Recommendations (Clinician) [PDF 73 kB]
- Fair Allocation of Scarce Medical Resources in Time of COVID-19
- An updated version of Rhonda St. Croix et al.'s e-textbook on Navigating Medical Emergencies to include COVID-19
- Teaching in Turbulent Times [PDF 317 kB]
- CMPA Podcast -- COVID-19: Reasonable Care (14.32 minutes)
- Nova Scotia Health Authority
- The College of Family Physicians Canada - Faculty Development Resource Repository
- Nova Scotia Health Authority - Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)
- CMPA - COVID-19 Hub
- New Brunswick Medical Society - COVID-19
- Horizon Health Network - COVID-19
- Choosing Wisely Canada - Using Blood Wisely: view and download resources on reducing unnecessary use of blood products to help conserve the supply during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- COVID-19 Health Literacy Project -- provides fact sheets in over 30 different languages.
- CADTH - What You Should Know About Drug Treatments for COVID-19
- New England Journal of Medicine: Coronavirus (Covid-19)
PHAC: COVID-19 Vaccine Emerging Issues Webinar: Vaccine-induced Immune Thrombotic Thrombocytopenia (VITT) – National Collaborating Centre for Infectious Diseases --- The Public Health Agency of Canada, Thrombosis Canada and the National Collaborating Centre for Infectious Diseases (NCCID) present a webinar to inform health care providers on the treatment and reporting of Vaccine-induced Immune Thrombotic Thrombocytopenia (VITT). Link to this webinar: https://nccid.ca/webcast/phac-covid-19-vaccine-emerging-issues-webinar-vaccine-induced-immune-thrombotic-thrombocytopenia/
Please visit the Conference page on this website
- DoctorsNS COVID-19 webinar series 2021
Location: online from Dartmouth, NS
Audience: All Nova Scotia physicians
Contact: Barbara Johnson | 902-481-4915
NOTE: PEI, NB, NF doctors are welcome to join the webinars too. However, questions will be restricted to NS physicians only. Registration is required.
- Remote SIM Programme for COVID-19 in Direct Patient Care (5 modules -- 1. SIM leader development; 2. Patient offloading in the ED; 3. PPE donning and doffing; 4. Airway management; 5. COVID-19 approaches for Primary Care) Location: Remotely from Halifax to NS, NB & PEI.
Audience: All healthcare professionals dealing with COVID-19
Contact: Susan Love
- The Canadian Association of Emergency Physicians presents a weekly COVID-19 Town Hall webinar. Please visit their website for each week's topic.
- Choosing Wisely Canada’s virtual gatherings. This weekly forum provides an opportunity for the Choosing Wisely Canada community to discuss various topics, for interactive learning, for discussions as well as the opportunity to stay connected with each other during these challenging times.
- Missed a CWC virtual gathering? Find all the recorded sessions under past events: https://choosingwiselycanada.org/events/past/