Professional Development Seminar Series
Interesting seminars from expert faculty and presenters
We are excited to bring to you the Professional Development Seminar Series. This latest offering from CPDME will include a multi-pronged and multimedia approach to the information you need to develop skills, knowledge, and connection delivered by content experts, thought leaders and innovators. The online nature means you can access form wherever you have internet, allowing you to attend in real time or watch when convenient. As well, we are pleased to continue delivering the FacDev Lounge, a podcast series led by Dr. Sarah Gander. The topics presented will be selected by faculty leaders in the four thematic areas outlined below:
Led by Dr. Wendy Stewart
From the visual and performing arts to the history of medicine, we believe in the value of having medical professionals and faculty engage in the humanities. Wherever you are in your career or your lifelong learning there is something for everyone to gain from humanizing medicine. Integrating medical humanities will: stimulate your creativity; sustain your energy; support the compassion required to provide excellence in care; develop your capacity for critical thinking and improve your communication and advocacy skills.
- More sessions TBC
Wellness and Leadership
Led by Dr. Ange Cooper and Dr. Lara Hazelton
The Faculty Wellness team welcome and invite you to our professional development series. These sessions have been designed to begin to address the seven drivers of burnout as discussed in the literature including: workload and job demands, efficiency and resources, meaning in work, culture and values, control and flexibility, social support and community at work, and work-life integration. These sessions will focus on personal promotion and leadership skill development and will develop your ability and inspiration to reach for the next level or to lead with confidence from where you are now.
- October 21, 2021, 12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m. COVID 19 And on it goes…How are we doing? with Drs. Lisa Sutherland and Carolyn Thomson via MS Teams
- November 9, 2021, 12:15 p.m. -1:15 p.m. The Trap of Meaning: Recognizing overlap and distinctions between burnout and psychiatric illness . . . and learning what to do about each with Dr. Nicole Herschenhous via MS Teams
- December 7, 2021, 12:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m. Connect, Reflect and Recharge: A Time to Exhale with Lorie Campbell via MS Teams
- January 14, 2021, 12:15 p.m. - 1:15 p.m. Title TBC with Dr. Christy Simpson via MS Teams
Led by Dr. Gaynor Watson-Creed
Join us as we seek to understand our experiences and/or observation of oppression towards priority communities within the Maritimes and beyond. Learn skills to effectively create and support an anti-oppressive working and learning environment. These adeptly curated and insightful sessions will be hosted by the Serving and Engaging Society lead.
- November 3, 2021, 11:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. White Fragility Clinic with Dr. Gaynor Watson Creed and Dr. Ajay Parasram via MS Teams | Contact GHO@dal.ca to register
- November 17, 2021, 11:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. White Fragility Clinic with Dr. Gaynor Watson Creed and Dr. Ajay Parasram via MS Teams | Contact GHO@dal.ca to register
- November 18, 2021, 12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m. Truth and Reconciliation: Navigating the Path from Words to Action with Dr. Brent Young via MS Teams
- November 18, 2021, 4:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. Fighting for A Hand to Hold: Confronting Medical Colonialism against Indigenous Children in Canada with Dr. Samir Shaheen-Hussain via MS Teams
- December 1, 2021, 11:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. White Fragility Clinic with Dr. Gaynor Watson Creed and Dr. Ajay Parasram via MS Teams | Contact GHO@dal.ca to register
- December 15, 2021, 11:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. White Fragility Clinic with Dr. Gaynor Watson Creed and Dr. Ajay Parasram via MS Teams | Contact GHO@dal.ca to register
- December 16, 2021, 8:00 a.m. – 9:00 a.m. Title TBC with Dr. Gaynor Watson Creed via MS Teams
- January 20, 2022, 12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m. Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion in the Learning Environment: Resources for Clinical Teachers with Drs. Rob Boulay and Lara Hazelton via MS Teams
Fundamentals of Teaching and Research
Led by Dr. Lisa Bonang and Dr. Sarah Burm
Led by our Medical Education Research and Scholarship team these research seminars will focus on helping to demystify and inspire you to the world of medical education research and scholarship. Effective teaching is an art that few have been trained for, but many have been asked to do. With the changing needs of an ever-evolving learning environment, our Faculty Development lead will host educationally relevant topics geared to developing your skill and comfort, and subsequent enjoyment in the teaching realm.
- November 22, 2021, 7:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. Title TBC via MS Teams
- November 30, 2021, 7:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. via MS Teams
- December 14, 2021, 1:30 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. Decolonized, Deliberate Anti-Racism, and Intersectional Understandings in Health Professions Learning and Curricula with Dr. Saleem Razack via MS Teams
- January 27, 2022, 7:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. Title TBC with Drs. Holly Caretta-Weyer and Stefanie Syer via MS Teams
- February 21, 2022, 12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m. Title TBC with Dr. Anna MacLeod via MS Teams
- March 31, 2022, 7:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. via MS Teams
- April 27, 2022, 4:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. Title TBC with Dr. Mary-Lynn Watson via MS Teams
We are developing a series of online modules on relevant medical education topics to support our themes. These modules are housed on our FacDev Brightspace site. To be enrolled, please contact us at email@example.com.