PLANS Prep Institute Application
PLANS PREP INSTITUTE Information & Application Package
Promoting Leadership in health for African Nova Scotians (PLANS) at Dalhousie University is happy to be accepting applications for the PLANS PREP INSTITUTE (PPI). African Nova Scotian students from across Nova Scotian who are interested in going to university or college to study in a health or science field are invited to apply for this opportunity.
PPI is a post-secondary preparation program for Grade 10, 11 & 12 learners with a focus on skills development to prepare for success at university or college and ease the transition from high school. The institute will explore courses and programs available and associated careers, skills in leadership, time management, note taking, goal setting, and with a short research project and presentation. It will also include personal development, cultural and recreational activities.
Accommodations, meals and snacks are provided. Accepted students will arrive on the first day of the camp (July 2nd, 2019) and remain until the final day (July 5th, 2019). Participants will be responsible for their transportation to and from home.
Submit the following by Friday, May 3rd, 2019:
- Completed application form with signatures from student and parent/guardian
- Personal letter of interest (maximum 2 pages; typed or hand written) describing the following:
- where you live and your community,
- what you like to do outside of school (extracurricular activities),
- what excites you or worries you about university or college and
- why you would like to attend PPI.
- Proof of enrollment in science classes must also be included (i.e. transcript, letter from teacher, PowerSchool print out)
- Completed Student Reference Form from a one of the following: principal, vice-principal, teacher, guidance counsellor, Student Support Worker, or Regional Educator.
Accepted students will receive notification by May 29, 2019 and will be required to pay $40 fee - payment is NOT required with application; procedure for payment will be included with acceptance letter.