Reading list to start your global health journey
Articles in Periodicals
Bentley. M. E., Buekens, P., Burke, D. S., Frenk, J. J., Fried, L. P., Klag, M. J., Spencer, H. C. (2010) Global Health is Public Health. The Lancet, 375 (9714), 535-537.
Bombay, A. (2015). A call towards eliminating mental health disparities faced by Indigenous Peoples. The Lancet Psychiatry, 2, 861-862
Bond, T. C., Koplan, J. P., Merson, M. H., Reddy, K. S., Rodriguez, M. H., Sewankambo, N. K., Wasserheit, J. N. (2009). Towards a common definition of global health. The Lancet, 373 (9679), 1993–95.
Educational Effects of International Health Electives on U.S. and Canadian Medical Students and Residents: A Literature Review
Frenk, J., Chen, L. et al. (2010). Health professionals for a new century: transforming education to strengthen health systems in an interdependent world. The Lancet, 376 (9756), 1923-1958
Garrett, L. (2007). The Challenge of Global Health, Foreign Affairs, 86 (1).
Global Health: Preparation from Working in Resource-Limited Settings
Pinto, A. D., Upshur, R. E. G. (2007). Global Health Ethics for Students. Developing World Bioethics, 1471, 1-10.
UNICEF, WHO. (1978). Declaration of Alma-Ata: The International Conference on Primary Health Care, Alma-Ata, USSR.
- 28 stories of AIDS in Africa by Stephanie Nolen
- An Imperfect Offering by James Orbinski
- Better: A Surgeon’s Notes on Performance by Atul Gawande
- Development as freedom by Amartya Sen
- Pathologies of Power: Health, Human Rights, and the New War on the Poor by Paul Farmer
- Race Against Time by Stephen Lewis
- Shake Hands with the Devil: The Failure of Humanity in Rwanda by Romeo Dallaire
- Dead Aid: Why Aid Is Not Working and How There Is a better Way for Africa by Dambisa Moyo
- Huish, Robert. (2013) “Where no doctor has gone before: Cuba’s place in the global health landscape.” Waterloo: Wilfrid Laurier University Press.
- Tiessen, Rebecca, & Robert Huish, (eds). (2014). Globetrotting or Global Citizenship? Perils and potential of international experiential learning. Toronto: University of Toronto Press.