Ronald George, MD FRCPC
Associate Professor, Associate Medical Director of Research
P.O. Box 9700, Halifax, NS B3K 6R8
- Labour and postoperative analgesia
- Complications and side effects of neuroaxial anesthesia
- Airway management
Dr. George’s clinical and research interests include labour & postoperative analgesia, complications and side effects of neuraxial anesthesia, and airway management. The Nova Scotia Health Research Foundation, the IWK Health Centre and the Canadian Anesthesiologists’ Society have funded his investigations.
- George RB, McKeen D, Chaplin AC, McLeod L. Up-down determination of the ED(90) of oxytocin infusions for the prevention of postpartum uterine atony in parturients undergoing cesarean delivery. Can J Anaesth. 2010 Mar 18.
- George RB, McKeen D, Columb MO, Habib AS.Up-down determination of the 90% effective dose of phenylephrine for the treatment of spinal anesthesia-induced hypotension in parturients undergoing cesarean delivery. Anesth Analg. 2010 Jan;110(1):154-8, Nov 12.
- George RB, Allen TK, Habib AS. Serotonin receptor antagonists for the prevention and treatment of pruritus, nausea, and vomiting in women undergoing cesarean delivery with intrathecal morphine: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Anesth Analg. 2009 Jul;109(1):174-82.
- George RB, Hung O, Schneider B. The Pharmacology of Intubation: Adverse Outcomes and Their Prevention. In: Hung O (ed) Case Studies in Difficult and Failed Airway Management, 1st edition.
- George RB, Kalich J, Yonish B, Murtha AP. Apoptosis in the chorion of fetal membranes in preterm premature rupture of membranes. Am J Perinatol 2008;25(1):29-32
Selected research studies
- Acute postoperative pain prevention & treatment with novel agents (Pregabalin)
- Dosing research for phenylephrine prophylaxis of spinal induced hypotension during cesarean delivery for at risk parturients and neonates
- Prevention on IONV/PONV during cesarean delivery while controlling for hemodynamic changes with phenylephrine
- Alternate/novel modes of delivery for labour analgesia
Selected awards and honours
- Society for Obstetric Anesthesia and Perinatology Zuspan Award for collaborative research with obstetrics and gynaecology colleagues
- Dick Smith Post-doctoral Clinical Research Award, Duke University
- Best Obstetric Anesthesia Paper at the Canadian Anesthesiologists’ Society Meeting 2007 (Co-author)
Selected memberships / service and activity
- Supporter of Kybele, a non-profit organization helping to reduce maternal and neonatal morbidity and mortality in developing nations