Jong Sung Kim
- Department of Community Health and Epidemiology
- Public health
- Environmental and occupational health
- Chronic diseases
- Postdoctoral Research Scholar (University of Iowa)
- PhD (University of Iowa)
- MSc (University of Nebraska-Lincoln)
- BSc (Kangwon National University)
The long-term goal of Dr. Kim’s research is to improve human health by undertaking, translating and teaching innovative human and environmental health sciences research in toxicology and exposure science. His lab has actively worked on a broad spectrum of topics including, but not limited to, nanotoxicology, exposomics, metabolomics, mechanistic toxicology and biomarkers.
- Adamcakova-Dodd, A., L.V. Stebounova, J.S. Kim, S.U. Vorrink, A.P. Ault, P.T. O’Shaughnessy, V.H. Grassian and P.S. Thorne. Toxicity Assessment of Zinc Oxide Nanoparticles using Sub-acute and Sub-chronic Murine Inhalation Models. Particle & Fibre Toxicology, 2014, 11:15.
- Kim, J.S., G. Luthe, S. Flor, J. Klösener, T.M. Peters, L.W. Robertson, P.S. Thorne and G. Ludewig. Toxicity of Air-delivered Particle-bound Polybrominated Diphenyl Ethers (PBDEs). Toxicology, 2014, 317, 31-39.
- Kim, J.S., A. Adamcakova-Dodd, T.M. Peters, P.T. O’Shaughnessy and P.S. Thorne. Validation of an In Vitro Exposure System for Toxicity Assessment of Air-Delivered Nanomaterials. Toxicology In Vitro, 2013, 27(1), 164-173.
- Kim, J.S., A. Adamcakova-Dodd, P.T. O’Shaughnessy, V.H. Grassian and P.S. Thorne. Effects of Copper Nanoparticle Exposure on Host Defense in a Murine Pulmonary Infection Model. Particle & Fibre Toxicology, 2011, 8:29.
- Kim, J.S., P.S. Shea, J.E. Yang, and J.E. Kim. Halide Salts Accelerate Degradation of High Explosives by Zerovalent Iron. Environmental Pollution, 2007, 147: 634-641.
Selected awards and honours
- Best Presentation & Paper Award, Delta Omega Honorary Society in Public Health, American Public Health Association, Washington, DC, 2011.
- Outstanding Graduate Student Award, Nanotoxicology Specialty Section (NTSS), 50th Annual Meeting of the Society of Toxicology, Washington, DC, 2011.
- MB Research Award, In Vitro and Alternative Methods Specialty Section, 48th Annual Meeting of the Society of Toxicology, Baltimore, MD, 2009.
- Best Presentation Award, In Vitro and Alternative Methods Specialty Section, 48th Annual Meeting of the Society of Toxicology, Baltimore, MD, 2009.
- Best Presentation Awards, Health Sciences Research Week, The University of Iowa, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012.
- American Industrial Hygiene Association (AIHA), Atlantic Chapter
- American Public Health Association (APHA)
- Society of Toxicology (SOT)
- Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry (SETAC)
- Director, Health & Environments Research Centre (HERC) Laboratory
- Affiliated scientist, Department of Family Practice, Capital District Health Authority (CDHA)
- Graduate Courses in the Department of Community Health & Epidemiology:
- CHE 6001 (ENV5010) - Environmental & Occupational Health (Co-instructor)
- Principle of Toxicology (in development)