Judith Guernsey, MSc, PhD
- PhD (University of Iowa)
- MSc (University of Iowa)
- BSc Honours (Carleton University)
- Health and safety in Agriculture (pesticides), Fisheries and Forestry
- Societal Systems Influences on the Health and Well-being of Rural People, Especially Women
- Housing and Indoor Residential Environments and Health Health and safety in agriculture (pesticides), fisheries and forestry- epidemiology and interventions
Recently published peer-reviewed book chapters
- DesMeules M Pong RW Guernsey JR et al. Rural Health Status and Determinants in Canada. Chapter 1 in: Kulig J & Williams A. Health in Rural Canada. UBC Press, 2012.
- Pong RW DesMeules M Manuel D Guernsey JR et al.. Health Services Utilization in Rural Canada: Are There Distinct Rural Patterns? Chapter 4 in: Kulig J & Williams A. Health in Rural Canada.UBC Press, 2012.
- Damp Indoor Spaces and Health, National Academies Press, USA, 2004
- Hoffman, E., J.R. Guernsey, T.R. Walker, J.S. Kim, K. Sherren, Pan Andreou. Assessment of ambient air toxics emissions near a Canadian kraft pulp and paper facility in Pictou County, Nova Scotia. Environmental Science and Pollution Research, April 2017.
- McIver DJ VanLeeuwen JA Knafla AL Campbell JA Alexander KM Gherase MR Guernsey JR Fleming DEB, Evaluation of a Novel Portable X-ray Fluorescence Screening Tool for Detection of Arsenic Exposure, Physiological Measurement. 2015 Vol 36 (12):2443-2459.
- Fleming DEB Foran KA Kim JS Guernsey JR. Portable X-ray Fluorescence for Assessing Trace Elements in Rice and Rice Products: Comparison with Inductively Coupled Plasma Mass Spectrometry. Appl Radiat Isot. 2015 Oct;104:217-23. doi: 10.1016/j.apradiso.2015.07.014. Epub 2015 Jul 13 PMID: 26203871.
- Wheeler A Gibson M MacNeill M Ward T Wallace L Kutcha J Seaboyer M Dabek-Zlotorzynska E Guernsey JR Stieb D. Impacts of Air Cleaners on Indoor Air Quality in Residences Impacted by Wood Smoke. Environ Sci Technol. 2014 Oct 21;48(20):12157-63. doi: 10.1021/es503144h. Epub 2014 Oct 10. PMID: 25247985.
- Terashima M Guernsey JR Andreou P. What type of rural? Assessing the variations in life expectancy at birth at small area-level for a small population province using classes of locally defined settlement types. BMC Public Health; 2014, 14:162 doi:10.1186/1471-2458-14-162.; PMID: 24524307PMCID: PMC3925774.
- Holtby CE Guernsey JR Allen AC Vanleeuwen JA Allen VM Gordon RJ. A population-based case-control study of drinking-water nitrate and congenital anomalies using Geographic Information Systems (GIS) to develop individual-level exposure estimates. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 01/2014; 11(2):1803-23.
- MacNeill M Kearney J Wallace L Gibson M Heroux ME Kuchta J Guernsey JR Wheeler A. Quantifying the contribution of ambient and indoor-generated fine particles to indoor air in residential environments. Indoor Air 2014; January 11, pp 1-14.
- Dohoo C Guernsey JR Gibson MD VanLeeuwen J Impact of biogas digesters on cookhouse volatile organic compound exposure for rural Kenyan Farmwomen. Journal of Exposure Science and Environmental Epidemiology, July, 2013, pp 1-8. Doi 10.1038.jes 2013.42.
- Ashley-Martin J VanLeeuwen J Cribb A Andreou P Guernsey JR. Breast cancer risk, fungicide exposure and CYP1A1*2A polymorphisms gene-environment interactions in a population based investigation in Prince Edward Island, Canada, International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 2012 May; 9(5): 1846-1858. Published online 2012 May 11 doi: 10.3390/ijerph9051846. PMID: 22754477.
- MacDonald J Edwards N Davies B Marck J Guernsey JR. Priority setting and policy advocacy by nursing associations: A scoping review and implications using a socio-ecological whole systems lens. Health Policy, Available online 19 April 2012. DOI 10.1016/j.healthpol.2012.03.017. PMID:22522006.
Selected awards and honours
- National Institute Occupational Safety and Health, USA: Graduate Pre-doctoral Fellowship
- National Institute of Occupational Health, Stockholm, Sweden: Swedish Work Environment Fund Fellowship
- American Industrial Hygiene Association: Award for Outstanding Leadership and Commitment
- American Industrial Hygiene Association: Award for Session Excellence
- Canadian Association for Research on Work and Health
- CH&E 4010 – Introduction to Epidemiology (BSc Med Program)
- CH&E 6001F (CRN 12503) – Environmental & Occupational Health (crosslisted as ENVI5010F)
- Dalhousie Undergraduate Medical Education – Professional Competencies
Community service & activity
- Scientific Advisory Committee, Northeast Centre for Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, NIOSH Center, USA
- 5th International Fishing Industry Safety and Health Conference Scientific Committee, 2017-2018
- Rotary Club of Halifax – Paul Harris Award, 2016
- Committee on Damp Indoor Spaces and Health, Institute of Medicine, US National Academy of Sciences