Judith Guernsey, MSc, PhD
- PhD (University of Iowa)
- MSc (University of Iowa)
- BSc (Carleton University)
- Characterization of exposures and quality of patient care from hazardous working and living conditions in rural and remote areas in Canada, the US and globally
- Health and safety in agriculture (pesticides), fisheries and forestry- epidemiology and interventions
- Exposomics (molecular-environment interactions and pathophysiology of toxic substances plus life style factors over the life course)
- Theoretical considerations of physical-environmental structural factors impeding the health and well-being of rural people, especially women
- Air quality and health
Recently published peer-reviewed book chapters
- DesMeules M Pong RW Guernsey JR et al. Rural Health Status and Determinants in Canada. Chapter 1 in: Kulig J & Williams A. Health in Rural Canada. UBC Press, 2012.
- Pong RW DesMeules M Manuel D Guernsey JR et al.. Health Services Utilization in Rural Canada: Are There Distinct Rural Patterns? Chapter 4 in: Kulig J & Williams A. Health in Rural Canada.UBC Press, 2012.
- Holtby CE Guernsey JR Allen AC Vanleeuwen JA Allen VM Gordon RJ. A population-based case-control study of drinking-water nitrate and congenital anomalies using Geographic Information Systems (GIS) to develop individual-level exposure estimates. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 01/2014; 11(2):1803-23.
- MacNeill M Kearney J Wallace L Gibson M Heroux ME Kuchta J Guernsey JR Wheeler A. Quantifying the contribution of ambient and indoor-generated fine particles to indoor air in residential environments. Indoor Air 2014; January 11, pp 1-14.
- Dohoo C Guernsey JR Gibson MD VanLeeuwen J Impact of biogas digesters on cookhouse volatile organic compound exposure for rural Kenyan Farmwomen. Journal of Exposure Science and Environmental Epidemiology, July, 2013, pp 1-8. Doi 10.1038.jes 2013.42.
- Ashley-Martin J VanLeeuwen J Cribb A Andreou P Guernsey JR. Breast cancer risk, fungicide exposure and CYP1A1*2A polymorphisms gene-environment interactions in a population based investigation in Prince Edward Island, Canada, International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 2012 May; 9(5): 1846-1858. Published online 2012 May 11 doi: 10.3390/ijerph9051846. PMID: 22754477.
- MacDonald J Edwards N Davies B Marck J Guernsey JR. Priority setting and policy advocacy by nursing associations: A scoping review and implications using a socio-ecological whole systems lens. Health Policy, Available online 19 April 2012. DOI 10.1016/j.healthpol.2012.03.017. PMID:22522006.
Selected awards and honours
- National Institute Occupational Safety and Health, USA: Graduate Pre-doctoral Fellowship
- National Institute of Occupational Health, Stockholm, Sweden: Swedish Work Environment Fund Fellowship
- Canadian Agricultural Safety Association, Winnipeg, Manitoba: Award for Exemplary Leadership and Guidance
- American Industrial Hygiene Association: Award for Outstanding Leadership and Commitment
- American Industrial Hygiene Association: Award for Session Excellence
- Canadian Association for Research on Work and Health
- CH&E 6001F (CRN 12503) – Environmental & Occupational Health (crosslisted as ENVI5010F)
- Dalhousie Undergraduate Medical Education – Professional Competencies –Year 1
Community service & activity
- Rotary Club of Halifax – Chair, International Services Committee