- Middle ear mechanics
- Bone conduction hearing
- Eustachian tube disorders
- Vestibular disorders
- Cochlear implants
- BSc (University of Manchester)
- MB, Ch.B (University of Manchester)
- MSc (University of Toronto)
- Residency (University of Toronto)
- PDF (University of Manchester)
Dr Bance’s research in two basic science labs (EAR and SENSE labs) incorporates biomedical engineering in otology. Interests include middle ear mechanics, bone conduction hearing, vestibular disorders, vestibular schwannoma, auditory implants, superior canal dehiscence, Eustachian tube disorders and novel imaging technologies. He holds numerous grants and over 100 publications.
- McKnight CL, Doman DA, Brown JA, Bance M, Adamson RB. Direct measurement of the wavelength of sound waves in the human skull. J Acoust Soc Am. 2013 Jan;133(1):136-45. doi: 10.1121/1.4768801. PubMed PMID: 23297890.
- Mistry D, Ryan J, Maessen H, Bance M. Differences in perception of hearing handicap between cochlear implant users and their spouses. Laryngoscope. 2014 May;124(5):1199-203. doi: 10.1002/lary.24404. Epub 2013 Oct 22. PubMed PMID: 24114999.
- Alian W, Majdalawieh O, Kiefte M, Ejnell H, Bance M. The effect of increased stiffness of the incudostapedial joint on the transmission of air-conducted sound by the human middle ear. Otol Neurotol. 2013 Oct;34(8):1503-9. doi: 10.1097/MAO.0b013e3182923ed0. PubMed PMID: 23928510.
- Aron M, Floyd D, Bance M. Voluntary Eardrum Movement: A Marker for Tensor Tympani Contraction? Otol Neurotol. 2014 Apr 19. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 24751734.
- Aiken SJ, Andrus JN, Bance M, Phillips DP. Acoustic stapedius reflex function in man revisited. Ear Hear. 2013 Jul-Aug;34(4):e38-51. doi: 10.1097/AUD.0b013e31827ad9d3. PubMed PMID: 23403808.
Selected awards and honours
- Dalhousie Senior Clinical Scholar
- Scientific Director, Hearing Foundation Canada
- Awards Chair, Canadian Society Otolaryngology-HNS 2000-2005
- Teacher of the Year 3 times
- Politzer Society Board Member
- Collegium Oto-rhino-laryngologicum Amicitiae Sacrum (CORLAS)
- American Otology Society
- Politzer Society (Board Member)
- Triological Society
- Canadian Society Otolaryngology-HNS (Research Officer)
- Assistant professor, University of Toronto and Staff University Health Network 1996-2001
- Associate professor, Dalhousie University and Staff Capital Health 2001-2006
- Professor, Dalhousie University and Staff Capital Health 2006-
- Undergraduate medical student teaching
- Director of clinical portion of biomedical engineering CREATE graduate courses
- Resident teaching within core curriculum
Service & activity
- Research director, Division Otolaryngology-HNS 2001-2010
- Acting head, Division of Otolaryngology-HNS, 2010-2012
- Head, Division of Otolaryngology-HNS 2013-