David Simpson, MD, FRCPC, FACP
QEII - Bethune Building
Suite 406 Bethune Building
1276 South Park Street
Halifax, NS B3H 2Y9
- medical education
- communication skills
- BSc (Royal Military College of Canada)
- MD (Queen’s University)
- Rotating internship, (Victoria General Hospital, Victoria, BC)
- Residency in medicine (University of Ottawa) R1
- Residency in internal medicine (Dalhousie University) R2-R4
Dr. David Simpson became a full-time member of the Division of General Internal Medicine in 1995 following a 21-year career in the Canadian Forces. He is a professor of medicine, Associate Director of the Department of Medicine Clinical Teaching Unit and postgraduate coordinator of Dalhousie’s Communication Skills Program. Dr. Simpson was division head for General Internal Medicine from 2007–2016. He has received numerous teaching awards including the Dalhousie Department of Medicine’s Achievement Award for Outstanding Contributions.
Clinical and research interests
Dr. Simpson has a special interest in physical examination and communication skills teaching at both the undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
- Laidlaw T S, Kaufman D M, Sargeant J, MacLeod H, Bake K, Simpson CD; What makes a physician an exemplary communicator with patients? Patient Education and Counseling 2007: 68: 153-160.
- Laidlaw T, Kaufman DM, MacLeod H, van Zanten S, Simpson CD; Relationship of Resident Characteristics, Attitudes, Prior Training and Clinical Knowledge to Communication Skills Performance. Medical Education 2006; 40: 18-25.
- Simpson, C.D., Azathioprine-Induced Pericarditis in a Patient with Ulcerative Colitis. Can J Gastroenterology 1997:11;217-219.
- Simpson, C.D., Aitken, S.E. Malignant Histocytosis Associated with SIADH and Retinal Haemorrhages. Can Med Assoc J 1982:127;302-303.
- Graham, N., Hogan, D.B., Simpson, C.D. Potassium Iodide in the Treatment of Sarcoidosis. Can Med Assoc J 1981:124;124-127.
- Fellow, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada.
- Fellow, American College of Physicians
- Member, Alpha Omega Alpha Honour Medical Society
- Member, Canadian Society of Internal Medicine
- Member, Canadian Medical Association
Service & activity
- Member, Canadian Society of Internal Medicine Nominating Committee (2013 – present)
- Member, Canadian Society of Internal Medicine Executive Committee (2012 – present)
- Member, VG Ambulatory Care Realignment Steering Committee, Nova Scotia Health Authority Central Zone (2012 – present)
- Member, Canadian Society for Internal Medicine Council (2011 – present)
- Faculty, Institute for Healthcare Communication (2005 – present)
Selected awards & honours
- Department of Medicine Achievement Award (2013)
- Department of Medicine Excellence in Medical Education Award (2011)
- Elected to Fellowship in the American College of Physicians (2010)
- Department of Medicine Meritorious Service Award (2009)
- Department of Medicine Excellence in Education Award (2003)