Stephen Couban, MD, FRCPC
Division head/chief, Professor
QEII - Bethune Building
Suite 430 Bethune Building
1276 South Park Street
Halifax, NS B3H 2Y9
- hematologic disorders
- blood and marrow transplantation
- quality of care
- BSc (McGill University)
- MD (Dalhousie University)
- Bone marrow transplantation fellowship (National Cancer Institute of Canada)
Dr. Stephen Couban is head of the Division of Hematology and interim deputy head of the Department of Medicine. He is also director of the blood and marrow transplantation program at the QEII Health Sciences Centre where he has been a hematologist since 1997. Dr. Couban is an awarded academic physician and accomplished administrator.
Dr. Couban’s research interests are in clinical trials in acute leukemia and blood and marrow transplantation. He has also done some work in health services and outcomes research.
- Deotare U, Al-Dawsari G, Couban S, Lipton JH. G-CSF-primed bone marrow as a source of stem cells for allografting: revisiting the concept. Bone Marrow Transplantation advance online publication. 27 April 2015; doi: 10.1038/bmt.2015.80
- Couban S., Savoie L., Mourad Y.A., Leber B., Minden M., Turner R., Palada V., Shehata N., Christofides A., Lachance S. Evidence-based guidelines for the use of tyrosine kinase inhibitors in adults with Philadelphia chromosome-positive or BCR-ABL-positive acute lymphoblastic leukemia: a Canadian consensus. Current Oncology 2014 April. 265-309
- Stiff P, Unger J, Cook J, Constine L, Couban S, Stewart D, Shea T, Porcu P, Winter J, Kahl B, Miller T, Tubbs R, Marcellus D, Friedberg J, Barton K, Mills G, LeBlanc M, Rimsza L, Forman S, Fisher R. “Autologous Transplant as Consolidation for Aggressive Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma”. New England Journal of Medicine 2013, Oct 31;369(18):1681-90.
- Sabo B, McLeod D, Couban S. “The Experience of Caring for a Spouse Undergoing Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation: Opening Pandoras Box” Appeared on the cover of Cancer Nursing 2013,Jan-Feb;36.(1):29-40
- MacDonald D, Anthony D, Assouline S, Brandwein J, Kamel-Reid S, Eisenhauer E. Couban S, Caplan S, Foo A, Whalsh W, Leber B. A Phase II/II Study of sorafenib (BAY 43-9006) in combination with low dose cytarabine (LDAC) in elderly patients with AML or high-risk MDS from the NCIC Clinical Trials Group Trial IND.186. Leukemia Lymphoma. 2013 Apr; 54(4):760-6. doi: 10.3109/10428194.2012.737917. Epub 2012 Nov 15.
- Interim Deputy Head, Department Head (2015 – present)
- Head, Division of Hematology, Department of Medicine (2013 – present)
- Director, QEII Health Sciences Centre Blood & Marrow Transplant Program (1997 – present)
- Co-Chair, Hematology Disease Site Committee, National Cancer Institute of Canada Clinical Trials Group
- Chair, Leukemia Subcommittee, Hematology Disease Site Committee, National Cancer Institute of Canada Clinical Trials Group
- Member, National Cancer Institute Leukemia Steering Committee
- Member, Medical Advisory Board for the Aplastic Anemia and Myelodysplasia Association of Canada
- Member, Scientific Advisory Committee, Canadian Unrelated Blood and Marrow Transplant Registry
Selected awards and honours
- Excellence in Research Award, Department of Medicine
- Excellence in Medical Education Award, Department of Medicine
- Residents’ Choice Faculty Presentation, Department of Medicine Research Day