Souvik Mitra, MD, MSc, PhD(c), FRCPC
Division of Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine, Associate Professor
- MBBS - Medical College Kolkata, India
- MD Pediatrics (Post-Graduate Residency in Pediatric Medicine) – Medical College Kolkata, India
- Fellowship in Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine – McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
- MSc Clinical Epidemiology - McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
- PhD (candidate) Epidemiology & Applied Health Research - Dalhousie University, Halifax, Canada
- Associate Professor, Department of Pediatrics, Dalhousie University
- Associate Professor, Department of Community Health & Epidemiology
- Neonatologist, Division of Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine, IWK Health Centre
Dr. Mitra’s research interests include neonatal hemodynamics, oxygenation and perfusion. His current research projects include a pan-Canadian project on the comparative effectiveness of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory agents (NSAIDs) for treatment of patent ductus arteriosus (PDA) in preterm infants (funded by the Canadian Institutes of Health Research); a CIHR-funded multicenter RCT on selective early treatment of the PDA in extremely low gestational age infants; development of a clinical practice guideline on use of prophylactic cyclo-oxygenase inhibitor drugs for prevention of morbidity and mortality in preterm infants and effect of caregiving interventions on cerebral oxygenation and perfusion in preterm infants.
Selected publications (last 3 years)
- Mitra S, Dorling J, Johnston BC. Optimizing practice guidelines through incorporating patient and family values and preferences. Semin Fetal Neonatal Med. 2021 Feb;26(1):101194.
- Mitra S, Jain A, Ting JY, Ben Fadel N et al. Relative effectiveness and safety of pharmacotherapeutic agents for patent ductus arteriosus (PDA) in preterm infants: a protocol for a multicentre comparative effectiveness study (CANRxPDA). BMJ Open. 2021 May 5;11(5):e050682.
- Hillier K, Jones K, MacInnis M, Mitra S. Comparison of standard versus high-dose ibuprofen for the treatment of hemodynamically significant patent ductus arteriosus in preterm infants. J Perinatol. 2021 May;41(5):1142-1148.
- Evans P, O'Reilly D, Flyer JN, Soll R, Mitra S. Indomethacin for symptomatic patent ductus arteriosus in preterm infants. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2021 Jan 15;1:CD013133.
- Mitra S, Scrivens A, von Kursell AM, Disher T. Early treatment versus expectant management of hemodynamically significant patent ductus arteriosus for preterm infants. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2020 Dec 10;12:CD013278.
- Mitra S, McNamara PJ. Patent Ductus Arteriosus-Time for a Definitive Trial. Clin Perinatol. 2020 Sep;47(3):617-639.
- Mitra S, Babadagli ME, Hatfield T, dePalma A, McCord H, El-Naggar W, Schmölzer GM, McMillan DD. Effect of Fentanyl Boluses on Cerebral Oxygenation and Hemodynamics in Preterm Infants: A Prospective Observational Study. Neonatology. 2020;117(4):480-487.
- Mitra S, Reid M, McDougall B, Johnston BC. Are neonatal clinical practice guidelines truly evidence-based? A case for incorporating family values and preferences. Acta Paediatr. 2019 Sep;108(9):1564-1566
- Mitra S, Florez ID, Tamayo ME, Mbuagbaw L, Vanniyasingam T, Veroniki AA, Zea AM, Zhang Y, Sadeghirad B, Thabane L. Association of Placebo, Indomethacin, Ibuprofen, and Acetaminophen With Closure of Hemodynamically Significant Patent Ductus Arteriosus in Preterm Infants: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. JAMA. 2018;319(12):1221-1238.
For complete list of Dr. Mitra’s publications please follow the link: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/myncbi/souvik.mitra.1/bibliography/public/
Selected awards and honours
- Early Career Researcher Award, Canadian National Perinatal Research Meeting, February 2021
- Junior Researcher Award, Department of Pediatrics, Dalhousie University, December 2020
- CCHCSP (Canadian Child Health Clinician Scientist Program) Rising Researcher Award, June 2019
- Richard Merritt Special Appreciation Award Canadian Society of Hospital Pharmacists, May 2019
- Molly Towell Perinatal Research Foundation New Investigator Award, June 2018
- CIHR-IHDCYH award for excellence in oral presentation at the Canadian National Perinatal Research Meeting, Montebello, Quebec, February 2017
- Mallinckrodt Young Investigator Award, Sinai Health Foundation, December 2016
Service & activity
- Associate Editor, Cochrane Neonatal Group
- Member, College of Reviewers, Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR)
- Co-chair, EPIQ Hemodynamic Group, Canadian Neonatal Network
- Social Media Editor, International Society for Evidence-Based Neonatology (EBNEO)
- Committee Member, Fetus & Newborn Committee, Canadian Pediatric Society
- Guideline and position statement development representative, Neonatal Hemodynamics Research Centre
- Member, IWK Scientific Review Committee
- Member, Research Committee, Department of Pediatrics, Dalhousie University
- Neonatal-perinatal medicine fellows
- Pediatric residents and undergraduate teaching
- Neonatal Nurse Practitioner Program
- Neonatal Nurse Orientation Program
Registration & memberships
- American Society of Echocardiography
- College of Physician and Surgeons of Nova Scotia
- Doctors Nova Scotia
- Canadian Neonatal Network
- Canadian Pediatric Society
- Canadian Medical Protective Association