5 Longfellow Place
Boston, MA 02114
- General population
- Dr. Murphy is a Professor of Psychiatry at the Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School; and a Professor of Epidemiology at Harvard School of Public Health.
Professor Murphy’s research interests include: the Stirling County Study initiated by Alexander H. Leighton, M.D., in 1948 and directed by Professor Murphy since 1975 with three county wide samples of adults and follow-up of all sample members for re-interview or death certification; cross-cultural psychiatry; and screening for psychiatric disorders.
- Murphy JM. Psychiatric labelling in cross-cultural perspective. Science 1976; 191:1019-1028
- Murphy JM. Continuities in community-based psychiatric epidemiology. Archives of General Psychiatry 1980; 17:1215-1223
- Murphy JM, Olivier DC, Monson RR, Sobol AM, Federman EB, Leighton AH: Depression and anxiety in relation to social status: a prospective epidemiologic study. Archives of General Psychiatry 1991; 48:223-229.
- Murphy JM, Monson RR, Laird NM, Sobol AM, Leighton AH. A forty-year perspective on the prevalence of depression from the Stirling County Study. Archives of General Psychiatry 2000; 57:209-215.
- Murphy JM, Gilman SE, Lesage A, Horton NJ, Rasic D, Trinh NH, Alamiri B, Sobol AM, Fava M, Smoller JW. Time trends in mortality associated with depression: findings from the Stirling County Study. Canadian Journal of Psychiatry 2010; 55:776-783.