Geoff Porter, MD, MSc, FRCSC, FACS
Professor and Ramia Chair in Surgical Oncology
1276 South Park St, Room 8-833
Halifax, NS B3H 2Y9
- Cancer health services research
- Access to cancer care
- Appropriateness efficiency
- Clinical trials
- Quality assessment and improvement in cancer care
- Fellow in Surgical Oncology (M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas)
- Resident in General Surgery (University of Alberta)
- MSc (University of Alberta)
- MD (Queen’s University)
Dr. Porter is specifically interested in measuring and understanding the complex factors that impact a patient’s access to medical care for cancer. This has included, as examples, examining the impact of obesity on cancer presentation, patient satisfaction with colorectal cancer diagnosis and treatment, and surgeon practice patterns related to sentinel node biopsy and immediate reconstruction in breast cancer.
- Porter G, Wagar B, Bryant H, Hewitt M, Wai E, Dabbs K, McFarlane A, Rahal R. Rates of breast cancer surgery in Canada from 2007/08 to 2009/10: retrospective cohort study. CMAJ Open. 2014 Jun 17;2(2):E102-8.
- Porter G, Urquhart R, Kendell C, Bu J, McConnell Y, Grunfeld E. Timely access and quality of care in colorectal cancer: a population-based cohort study using administrative data. BMC Res Notes. 2013 Sep 6;6(1):355.
- Kao LS, Dimick JB, Porter GA. How do administrative data compare with a clinical registry for identifying 30-day postoperative complications? J Am Coll Surg. 2014 Dec;219(6):1187-91
- Urquhart R, Porter GA, Sargeant J, Jackson L, Grunfeld E. Multi-level factors influence the implementation and use of complex innovations in cancer care: a multiple case study of synoptic reporting. Implement Sci. 2014;9(1):121
- Porter GA, Urquhart RL, Rheaume D, Cwajna S, Cox MA, Grunfeld E. Clinical information available to oncologists in surgically treated rectal cancer: room to improve. Curr Oncol. 2013 Jun;20(3):166-72.
Awards and honours
- James IV Travelling Fellowship, James IV Association of Surgeons, 2014
- Honorary Lifelong Membership, Beatrice Hunter Cancer Research Institute, 2012
- Next Generation Investigator, Radiation Therapy Oncology Group (RTOG), 2008
- Director, Cancer Outcomes Research Program (COR), Capital District Health Authority/Dalhousie University
- Senior scientific lead, Diagnosis and Clinical Care, Canadian Partnership Against Cancer