- BSc, University of King’s College
- MD, Dalhousie University
- Residency, Dalhousie University
- Fellowship, University of Alberta
Dr. Hart’s research interests include identification of molecular markers of thyroid cancer, improving the accuracy of fine needle aspiration results, and molecular pathways involved in the oncogenic transformation of HPV infection. Dr. Hart has over 70 peer-reviewed publications and two books published.
- M. Brace, M. Petten, F. Makki, S.M. Taylor, J. Trites, M. Bullock, J. Wang, Hart RD. Differential Expression of TGF-B in Benign vs Papillary Thyroid Cancer Nodules; A Potential Diagnostic Tool? J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2014 July.
- Williams BA, Bullock M, Trites J, Taylor SM, Hart RD. Rates of thyroid malignancy by FNA diagnostic category. Journal of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery. 2013 Dec 20;42(1):61.
- Petten M, Brace M, Bullock M, Wang J, Taylor M, Trites J, Hart RD. TGFB1 and not TGFB2 is upregulated in Hashimoto thyroiditis-related papillary thyroid carcinoma. 2013 May. Mod Pathol 26 (Suppl 2):137A.
- Passing the Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery Board Exam; A Comprehensive Question and Answer Based Review. Third Edition. Hart RD. 264pp. Gaspereau Press. 2013. ISBN 978-0-9917894-0-5
- Makki FM, Taylor SM, Shahnavaz A, Leslie A, Gallant J, Douglas S, Teh E, Trites J, Bullock M, Inglis K, Pinto DM, Hart RD. Serum biomarkers of papillary thyroid cancer. Journal of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery 2013, 42:16(Feb).
Selected awards and honours
- Staff Teaching Award, Dalhousie University Division of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery (2012)
- Honour Award, Canadian Society of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery (2012), in recognition of contribution to the society
- Excellence in Patient Care Award, Cancer Care Nova Scotia, Thyroid Cancer Clinic (2009)
- Staff Teaching Award, Dalhousie University, Division of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery (2008)
- Killam Scholarship (2005−2006)
Committees and activities
- CPD/CME Committee Member, Canadian Society of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
- Long Range Planning Committee Member, Canadian Society of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
- Nova Scotia Representative, Canadian Society of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
- Associate Editor: The Journal of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
- Reviewer: Thyroid, CMAJ, Head and Neck
- Research Director, Division of Otolaryngology