Room 5015, 1276 South Park St
Halifax, NS, B3H 2Y9
- Urologic surgery
- Surgery techniques
- MD (Dalhousie University)
- Internship (Dalhousie University)
- Residency (Dalhousie University)
- Fellowship (Clinical University of Texas Medical Kidney/Experimental School at Houston, Texas)
- Director of Clinical Trials of the Multi Organ Transplant Program (QEII, Capital District Health Authority)
- Director of Clinical Care (Department of Urology, Dalhousie University)
Dr. Joseph Lawen is a native Haligonian. He completed his medical school training at Dalhousie University in 1978 and then completed his Internship and Residency at the Department of Urology, Dalhousie University. Dr Lawen completed his Fellowship at the Clinical University of Texas Medical Kidney/Experimental School at Houston, Texas. Dr. Lawen is past Surgical Director of the Kidney Transplant Program at the QEII Health Sciences Centre. Dr Lawen’s current research interests include metabolic and surgical aspects of urology transplantation.
- Cimen S, Nantais J, Guler S, J Lawen. Kidney transplantation in an adult patient with VACTERL association. BMJ Case Reports June2015; doi:10.1136/bcr-2014-208784 (PMID: 26106170
- Rendon R, Mason RJ, Kirkland S, Lawen JG, Abdolell M, A Classification tree for the Predicition of Benign Versus Malignant Disease in Patients with Small Renal Masses, Canadian Journal of Urology; 7379-84, August 2014
- Cimen S, Guler S, Alwayn I, Lawen J, Kiberd B, Correlation of Surgical Times with Laparoscopic Live Donor Kidney Transplant Outcomes, Open Jounal of Organ Transplant Surgery, November 2013, 3, 68-72.
- Lawen JG, Hudson J, Merriman J, Arnason T, Intestinal Type Villous Adenoma of the Renal Pelvis Can Urol Assoc J; 7 (1-2): E138-42, Jan-Feb, 2013.
- De, S.K., Bell, D.G., Launcelott, G.O., Bailly, G., Bagnell, P., Lawen, J. et al. (2011). Surgeon-Administered Regional Anesthesia using the Transversus Abdominal Plane (TAP) Block during radical retropubic prostatectomy (RRP); A randomized double blinded controlled trial. Journal of Urology, 185(4), A628-A628.