COVID‑19 Research Opportunities and Information
COVID-19 Funding Opportunities
CIHR Operating Grant: COVID-19 May 2020 Rapid Research Funding Opportunity
Deadline: May 11, 2020
- On April 23, CIHR announced the Operating Grant: COVID-19 May 2020 Rapid Research Funding Opportunity, focused on:
- understanding the underlying pathophysiology and immunological response;
- developing and testing therapeutics, vaccines and diagnostics;
- providing evidence for best care strategies to those who are suffering from severe disease;
- creating evidence-based policies to support health workers and health systems as well as those designated as essential services, in coping with the significant burden posed by COVID-19; and
- ongoing, adaptive social and public health responses.
CIHR: Mental Health and Substance Use Responses to COVID-19
Deadline Knowledge Synthesis Grants: Week of May 4, 2020 (tbc)
- Two anticipated competitions for Knowledge Synthesis Grants (KSG) and Operating Grants (under development) will focus on building and synthesizing the evidence base to address gaps in the mental health and substance use response to COVID-19, and identify relevant interventions. Preliminary information is provided at this time to allow the research community to prepare and respond to expedited processes.
NSERC Alliance COVID-19 grants
Deadline: June 1, 2020
- NSERC is providing up to $15 million in total support to stimulate collaborations between academic researchers and the public and not-for-profit sectors, and industry to address pandemic-related research and technical challenges. Support for up to $50,000 for one-year projects is being made available immediately.
SSHRC Partnership Engage Grants: COVID-19 Special Initiative
Deadline: June 15 and September 15, 2020
(Please cut and paste address as link will not work)
- The PEG COVID-19 Special Initiative provides short-term and timely support for small-scale, stakeholder-driven partnerships through Partnership Engage Grants (PEG). This Special Initiative will allow researchers and their partners the possibility to address urgent and specific needs, as well as challenges or opportunities through collaborations. It will also provide a unique opportunity to foster knowledge exchange between postsecondary researchers and different sectors of society while including students, PhDs, PDFs and other HQPs on the COVID-19 crisis related issues, challenges and impacts.
- SSHRC is committed to investing up to $1.5 M over the next two PEG competitions to support COVID-19 related projects. Grants are valued at a maximum amount of $25K per project for duration of one year.
National Research Council Canada COVID-19 Research
- For those interested in The COVID-19 Challenges Procurement Program: NRC Industrial Research Assistance Program and Innovative Solutions Canada, please contact Annette Rushton, Manager, Life and Health Sciences, Dalhousie Industry Liaison and Innovation (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Researchers interested in The Pandemic Response Challenge Program, are encouraged to register to receive more information by clicking the Register button available on the webpage.
Deadline: Rolling, with response of review within 48 hrs
- Available Funding: $10,000 - $500,000 to be used solely to expedite COVID-19 related science
- Eligibility: PIs at an academic institution already working on a project that could help with the COVID-19 pandemic within the next 6 months
COVID-19 Search Tools
InfoEd Global (SPIN) - COVID-19/Coronavirus Resources
- InfoEd Global is sharing a library of COVID-19 funding opportunities and resources.
- Database updates are posted each day at 7:00 EST
Frontiers: Coronavirus Funding Monitor
- A curated list of open funding calls and other support for researchers, non-profit organizations and commercial organizations, specifically for COVID-19 and coronavirus-related research. Updated daily. In collaboration with Funding Institutional, Open Pharma, Science Europe.
- UK-based open innovation network Crowdhelix, in partnership with Science|Business, has launched a free service to help COVID-19 researchers connect with one another across the globe and find funding opportunities.
COVID-19 External Agency Updates
Tri‑Agency and CFI
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR)
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC)
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC)
- https://www.sshrc-crsh.gc.ca/news_room-salle_de_presse/covid-19-eng.aspx (Copy and paste address as link will not work)
- Canada Foundation for Innovation (CFI)
NIH Covid‑19‑related guidance and information
- The US National Institutes of Health (NIH) has developed a webpage with updates and other COVID-19-related information for NIH applicants and recipients of NIH funding. The website includes information on proposal submission and award management, an FAQ section, and a list of funding opportunities specific to COVID-19.