- Neurogenic inflammation
- Proteinase activated receptors
- BSc, honours, physiology (University of Glasgow, Scotland)
- PhD, joint physiology (Institute of Biological and Life Sciences, University of Glasgow, Scotland)
- PDF (Mc Caig Centre For Joint Injury & Arthritis Research, University of Calgary)
- PDF (Physiologisches Institut der Universität Würzburg, Germany)
- PDF (Instituto de Neurociencias Universidad Miguel Hernández, Alicante, Spain)
Using animal models of rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis and joint injury, Dr. McDougall's laboratory employs an integrative approach to examine the role of nerves in controlling joint inflammation and pain.
- Krustev, E., Reid, A. and Mc Dougall, J.J. (2014). Tapping into the endocannabinoid system to ameliorate acute inflammatory flares and associated pain in mouse knee joints. Arthritis Research & Therapy (In Press).
- Russell, F.A., Schülert, N., Veldhoen, V.E., and Mc Dougall, J.J. (2012). Activation of PAR2 sensitizes primary afferents and causes leukocyte rolling and adherence in the rat knee joint. British Journal of Pharmacology 167: 1665-1678.
- Mc Dougall, J.J., Andruski, B., Schülert, N., Hallgrimmson, B., and Matyas, J.R. (2009). Unravelling the relationship between age, nociception and joint destruction in naturally occurring osteoarthritis of Dunkin Hartley guinea pigs. Pain 141: 226-236.
- Schülert, N. and Mc Dougall, J.J. (2008). Cannabinoid-mediated anti-nociception is enhanced in rat osteoarthritic knees. Arthritis & Rheumatism 58: 145-153.
- Li, Z., Proud, D., Zhang, C., Wiehler, S. and Mc Dougall, J.J. (2005). Chronic arthritis downregulates peripheral m-opioid receptor expression with concomitant loss of endomorphin-1 anti-nociception. Arthritis & Rheumatism 52: 3210-3219.
Selected awards and honours
- Mayday Pain & Society Fellowship Award
- Picchione Visiting Scholar Award
- Alberta Heritage Foundation for Medical Research Senior Scholarship Award
- Arthritis Society Investigator Award
- Arthritis Society/Canadian Institute of Health Research New Investigator Award
- Osteoarthritis Research Society International
- The American College of Rheumatology
- The American Physiological Society
- The International Association for the Study of Pain
- Canadian Pain Society
- The European Neuropeptide Club
- Professor, Department of Pharmacology, Department of Anaesthesia, Pain Management and Perioperative Medicine, Dalhousie University, Dalhousie University, Halifax
- Adjunct Professor, Department of Physiology & Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary
- Associate Professor, Department of Physiology & Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary
- Supervision of 18 undergraduate/summer students
- Supervision of 8 graduate students
- Supervision of 6 post-doctoral fellows
- Course coordinator, Pharmacy – Pharmacology Unit (PHAC1470)
Service & activity
- Scientific officer for the Canadian Institutes of Health Research Operating Grant Committee-Clinical Investigation-B
- Chair of the Scientific Advisory Committee for The Arthritis Society
- Currently sit on 5 institutional and 3 external student committees
- Currently editor for 3 scientific journals