- Myocardial repair
- Cell transplantation and drug interactions
- Cell cycle regulation
- Cardiac fibrosis and remodeling
- Stem and progenitor cell biology
- BVSc & AH (SV Veterinary University)
- MVSc (Indian Veterinary Research Institute)
- PhD (University of Manitoba)
- PDF (Indiana University School of Medicine)
Dr. Pasumarthi’s research is mainly focused on developing cell based strategies for myocardial repair. Findings from his laboratory suggest that cardiac progenitor cells may be beneficial to replace dead cells after myocardial injury. His laboratory is also developing genetic and pharmacological interventions to promote tissue repair in a diseased heart.
- Zhang F, Feridooni T, Hotchkiss A and Pasumarthi KB (2014). Divergent cell cycle kinetics of mid-gestation ventricular cells entail a higher engraftment efficiency after cell transplantation. Am. J. Physiol. Cell Physiol. (In Press).
- Hotchkiss A, Feridooni T, Zhang F and Pasumarthi KB (2014). The effects of calcium channel blockade on proliferation and differentiation of cardiac progenitor cells. Cell Calcium, 55(5):238-51.
- Gaspard GJ, MacLean J, Rioux D and Pasumarthi KB (2014). A novel β adrenergic response element regulates both basal and agonist induced expression of cyclin dependent kinase 1 gene in cardiac fibroblasts. Am. J. Physiol. Cell Physiol. 306(6):C540-50.
- Wafa K, Zhang F, MacLean J and Pasumarthi KB (2013). Characterization of growth suppressive functions of a splice variant of cyclin D2. PLoS ONE 8(1):e53503.
- Feridooni T, Hotchkiss A, Remley-Carr S, Saga Y and Pasumarthi KB (2011). Cardiomyocyte specific ablation of p53 is not sufficient to block doxorubicin induced cardiac fibrosis and associated cytoskeletal changes. PLoS One 6(7):e22801.
Selected awards and honours
- Dr. Greg Ferrier Award, Heart and Stroke Foundation of Nova Scotia
- Margaret Becklake Feature Symposium Award, ICRH-CIHR
- Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada New Investigator Award
- Dalhousie Medical Research Foundation New Investigator Award
- American Heart Association Postdoctoral Fellowship
- E. L. Drewry Memorial Award
- International Society for Heart Research
- The American Physiological Society
- Course coordinator and instructor, DENT 1117 and PHAC 5626.03
- Instructor, PHAC 5405, OCCU 6130 and DENQ 3000
Service and activity
- Graduate coordinator, Department of Pharmacology
- Reviewer, Canadian Institutes of Health Research
- Scientific Review Committee, Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada