Lucy Helyer, MSc, MD, FRCSC
8-809 Victoria Building,
1276 South Park Street,
Halifax, NS B3H 2Y9
- Breast cancer
- Gastric cancer
- Patient outcomes
- MSc in Clinical Epidemiology (University of Toronto)
- Surgical Oncology Fellowship (University of Toronto)
- General Surgery Residency (Dalhousie Unviersity)
- Family Medicine Residency (Dalhousie University)
- MD (Dalhousie University)
- BSc (Dalhousie University)
- Dixon M, Mahar AL, Helyer LK, Vasilevska-Ristovska J, Law C, Coburn NG. Prognostic factors in metastatic gastric cancer: results of a population-based, retrospective cohort study in Ontario. Gastric Cancer. 2014 Nov 25.
- Brar SS, Mahar AL, Helyer LK, Swallow C, Law C, Paszat L, Seevaratnam R, Cardoso R, McLeod R, Dixon M, Yohanathan L, Lourenco LG, Bocicariu A, Bekaii-Saab T, Chau I, Church N, Coit D, Crane CH, Earle C, Mansfield P, Marcon N, Miner T, Noh SH, Porter G, Posner MC, Prachand V, Sano T, van de Velde C, Wong S, Coburn NG. Processes of care in the multidisciplinary treatment of gastric cancer: results of a RAND/UCLA expert panel. JAMA Surg. 2014 Jan; 149(1):18-25.
- Helyer L., Le L, Leong W and McCready D. Obesity a risk factors for lymphedema in women with breast cancer. Breast J. 2010 Jan-Feb;16(1):48-54.
- Dixon M, Mahar A, Paszat L, McLeod R, Law C, Swallow C, Helyer L, Seeveratnam R, Cardoso R, Bekaii-Saab T, Chau I, Church N, Coit D, Crane CH, Earle C, Mansfield P, Marcon N, Miner T, Noh SH, Porter G, Posner MC, Prachand V, Sano T, Van de Velde CJ, Wong S, Coburn N. What provider volumes and characteristics are appropriate for gastric cancer resection? Results of an international RAND/UCLA expert panel. Surgery. 2013 Nov;154(5): Ann Surg. 2014 Jan;259(1):102-8.
Selected awards and honours
- Excellence in Resident Teaching 2011, Dalhousie University
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons
- Canadian Association of General Surgeons
- Canadian Society of Surgical Oncologists
- Canadian Medical Protective Association
- Society of Surgical Oncology
- College of Physicians and Surgeons of Nova Scotia
- Doctors of Nova Scotia
- American Society of Clinical Oncology Associate
- District Medical Staff Association Capitol Health
- CDHA general surgeon & trauma team leader
- IWK breast health surgeon
- Medical students from 1st year to clerkship: lectures in general surgical oncology concepts, surgical indications for the thyroid and parathyroid
- Junior surgical residents: POS - lecture on paraneoplastic syndromes and surgical oncology principles and tenets
- Senior general surgery residents: surgical oncology