Med 2 (Pre‑clerkship)
Learn the basics of medicine and patient care
In Med 2, the curriculum is divided into four units: Neurosciences; Metabolism and Homeostasis 2; Musculoskeletal and Dermatology; and Integration. Running across Med 1 and Med 2 are the Professional Competencies, Research in Medicine and Skilled Clinician units.
Read a detailed explanation of each unit on our units page.
A typical week [PDF - 246 kB] in your second year includes:
- tutorial groups meeting for 2-3 hours, three times a week
- 3-5 hours of lectures
- a patient contact experience for 3-4 hours, emphasizing patient-doctor relationships
- a 1/2 day for Research in Medicine
- an elective opportunity for 1/2 day
- a 3-hour laboratory related to the cases under study
- 2-hour concentration on critical appraisal or population health