Gabriela Ilie, PhD
Endowed Soillse Research Scientist in Prostate Cancer Quality of Life Research Assistant Professor
- Patient-reported outcome measures
- Health related quality of life
- Health policy
- Prostate cancer
- Concussions and traumatic brain injury
- Mental health
- Substance use and addiction
- Injury prevention
Dr. Ilie’s substantive interests are in the areas of prostate cancer health related quality of life measures, patient-reported outcomes, population health, mental health, substance use, concussions and traumatic brain injury, injury prevention, and health policy. She is particularly interested in the intersection of chronic illness and various patient-reported disease-specific and health related quality of life outcomes, with a special emphasis on adolescents, adults and aging.
- Scientist, Nova Scotia Health Authority, Queen Elizabeth II Health Sciences Centre
- Associate Scientist, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health
- Adjunct Associate Professor University of Toronto, Music and Health Research Collaboratory
- Postdoc (Centre for Addiction and Mental Health)
- Postdoc (St. Michael’s Hospital)
- PhD (University of Toronto)
- MA (York University)
- BA Honours (York University)
- Moran K, Sinclair L. Freire S, Bowes, D., Best L, Cherpack A, Darling M, Day T, Trask J, Ilie G*. Describing a process for creating a patient visible quality educational display to increase patient engagement in Radiation Oncology throughout the Canadian Maritimes Provinces, Journal of Cancer Education, 2018 (accepted July 11, 2018)
- Karkada M, Costa AF, Imran SA, Hart R, Bullock M, Ilie G, Rajaraman M. Incomplete thyroid ultrasound reports in patients with thyroid nodules: implications regarding risk assessment and management. American Journal of Roentgenology, 2018 (accepted May 29, 2018)
- Ilie G.*, Adlaf EM, Mann RE, Ialomiteanu A, Hamilton H, Rehm J, Asbridge M, Cusimano, M.D. Associations between self-reported lifetime history of traumatic brain injuries and current disability assessment in a population sample of Canadian adults, 2018. Plos One Journal. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0188908
- Wickens CM, Flam-Zalcman R, Stoduto G, Docherty C, Watson TM, van der Maas, M., Brands B, Ilie G., Justin Matheson, Robert E Mann, Rita K Thomas. The Impact of Remedial Programme Participation on Convicted Drinking Drivers’ Alcohol and Other Drug Use 6 Months Following Programme Completion. International Journal of Mental Health and Addiction, 2018. 16: 598. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11469-017-9799-y
- Wickens, C.M., Flam-Zalcman R., Mann R.E., Stoduto G, Nochajski T, Koski-Jännes A, Herie M, Watkin-Merek L, Rush B, Thomas RK, LaFontaine S, Watson TW, Matheson J, Ilie G, Mehra K, Le TL and Rehm J. Evaluating moderators of beneficial effects of severity-based assignment to substance use treatments in impaired drivers. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, 2018 (in print)
- Nussbaum D, MacEacheron M, Douglass MD, Watson M, Daoud SLSB, Ilie G, DeKeseredy W. Towards an empirical method to predict severity of violent recidivism. Criminal Justice and Behaviour, 2018 (in print).
- Ilie, G.*, Wickens, C.M., Vingilis, E.R., Mann, R.E., Hailton, H., Toplak, M., Adlaf, E.M., Kolla, N., Ialomiteanu A. van der Mass, M., Asbridge, M., Rehm, J., Cusimano, M.D. Associations between a history of traumatic brain injuries and conduct disorder during youth in a population sample of Canadian adults. Psychiatry Research, 2017: 258, 184-188.
- Wickens CM, Flam-Zalcmann RF, Mann RE, Stout G, Nochajski T, Koski-Jannes A., Herie M, Watkin-Merek L, Rush B., Thomas RK, Watson TM, Matheson J, Ilie G., Brands B, Rehm J. Evaluating Moderators of beneficial Effects Severity-Based Assignment to Substance Abuse Treatments in Impaired Drivers. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsat.2018.07.003
- Wickens, C.M., Flam-Zalcman, R., Stoduto, G., Docherty, C., Marie Watson, T., van der Maas, M., Brands, B., Ilie, G., Matheson, J., Mann, R.E., & Thomas, R.K. The Impact of Remedial Programme Participation on Convicted Drinking Drivers’ Alcohol and Other Drug Use 6 Months Following Programme Completion. International Journal of Mental Health and Addiction (2017), p.1-19. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11469-017-9799-y
- Ilie G*, Wickens CM, Mann RE, Ialomiteanu A, Adlaf EA, Hamilton H, Asbridge M, Rehm J, Cusimano MD. Roadway aggression among drivers and passengers with or without a history of traumatic brain injury. Violence and Victims, Aug 15 2017. doi: 10.1891/0886-6708.VV-D-16-00027. [Epub ahead of print].
- Ilie G*, Mann R., Boak A, Adlaf E, Halimton HA, Rehm J, Cusimano MD. Possession of weapon and school violence among adolescents and their association with history of traumatic brain injury, substance use and mental health issues. Injury, 2017, 48(2); 285-292.
- Cusimano MD, Topolovec-Vranic J, Zhang S, Mullen SJ, Wong M, Ilie G. Factors Influencing the Underreporting of Concussion in Sports: A Qualitative Study of Minor Hockey Participants. Clinical Journal of Sports Medicine 2017, 27(4): 375-380.
- Ilie G*, Cusimano MD, Li W. Prosodic Processing post traumatic brain injury - A systematic review. Systematic reviews 2017; 6: 1. doi: 10.1186/s13643-016-0385-3
- Ilie G*, Mann R., Boak A, Adlaf E, Asbridge M, Rehm J, Cusimano MD. Cross-sectional examination of the association of co-occurring alcohol misuse and traumatic brain injury on mental health and conduct problems in adolescents in Ontario, Canada. British Medical Journal Open – Neurology 2016;6:e011824. doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2016-011824.
- Ilie G*, Mann, R. Ialomiteanu A, Adlaf E, Hamilton H, Wickens C, Asbridge M, Rehm J, Cusiamano MD. (2016) Road rage and traffic accidents among adults with a history of traumatic brain injuries. Brain Injury, 30(5-6):753.
- Ilie G*, Mann RE, Adlaf EM, Hamilton H, Asbridge M, Jürgen R, Cusimano DM. (2015) The association between traumatic brain injury and ADHD in a Canadian adult sample. Journal of Psychiatric Research, 69, 174-179.
- Cusimano M, Pshonyak I, Yongjun-Lee M, Ilie, G. (2015) Causes of 30-day readmission after neurosurgery of the spine. Journal of Neurosurgery, 10/2015.
- Ilie G*, Ialomiteanu A, Adlaf EM, Mann RE, Hamilton H, Asbridge M, Jürgen R, Cusimano DM. (2015) Associations between a history of traumatic brain injuries and current cigarette smoking, cannabis use, nonmedical opioid use, and elevated psychological distress in a population sample of Canadian adults. Journal of Neurotrauma, 69:174-179.
- Ilie G*, Mann R, Ialomiteanu A, Adlaf E, Hamilton H, Wickens C, Asbridge M, Rehm J, Cusimano, MD. (2015) Traumatic brain injury, driver aggression and motor vehicle collisions in Canadian adults. Accident Analysis and Prevention, 81: 1-7.
- Ilie G*, Adlaf EM, Mann RE, Boak A, Hamilton H, et al. (2014) The Moderating Effects of Sex and Age on the Association between Traumatic Brain Injury and Harmful Psychological Correlates among Adolescents. PLoS ONE 9(9): e108167.
- Ilie G*, Boak A, Adlaf EM, Mann RE, Hamilton H, Asbridge M, Jürgen R, Cusimano DM. (2014) Suicidality, bullying and other conduct and mental health correlates of traumatic brain injury in adolescents. PLoS One, 9(4); e94936.
- Ilie G*, Boak A, Adlaf EM, Asbridge M, Cusimano MD. (2013) Prevalence and Correlates of Traumatic Brain Injury Among Adolescents. Journal of American Medical Association, 309(24): 1-2.
- Stoduto G, Mann RE, Flam-Zalcman RE, Sharpley J, Brands B, Butters J, Smart RG, Wickens K, Ilie G, Thomas RK. (2013) Impact of Ontario’s remedial program for convicted drinking drivers on substance use and problems. Canadian Journal of Criminology and Criminal Justice, 201-217.
- Ilie G*, Rehana R. (2013) Effects of individual music playing and music listening on acute stress recovery. Canadian Journal for Music Therapy, 19(1); 23-46.
Selected Conference presentations
- Ilie G, Nussbaum D. The ratio behavioural scaling meets contemporary neuroimaging. 2016 Canadian Psychological Association Annual Convention June 9th, 2016, Victoria, BC.
- Ilie G. Improving the quality of life of patients with prostate cancer through outcome-influenced care. A Maritimes Project. Urology Rounds. QEII Hospital, Haifax, NS, April 12, 2016.
- Ilie G. Prevalence and Correlates of a Lifetime History of TBI in the Adult, General Population. World Congress on Brain Injury, The Hague, March 2-5, 2016. Invited Symposium.
- Ilie G. Classification of Traumatic Brain Injury and Problem Drinking and its Association with Mental Health, Behavioral conduct Problems and Victimization in a Provincial Sample of Canadian Adolescents. World Congress on Brain Injury, The Hague, March 2-5, 2016. Podium Presentation.
- Ilie G. Mental health and substance use correlates in a population sample of Canadian adults with and without a history of traumatic brain injuries. Inaugural Reward Deficiency Syndrome Summit. Reward Deficiency Syndrome (RDS) in the 21st Century: Epigenetics, Neurogenetics, Neuroimaging Tools for Therapy and Recovery Conference. San Francisco, 16-18 November 2015.
- Ilie G. Inaugural talk on Traumatic brain injuries – Hope through Research. Reducing, risks improving outcomes. Heads up Durham – Ontario community based injury prevention association. Oshawa, September 17, 2015.
- Ilie G. Encouraging Dialogue 2015: The Child's Brain and the Impact of Concussion, Kingsway College School, Invited talk, Toronto, April 14, 2015.
- Ilie G. Mann RE, Boak A, Adlaf E, Hamilton H, Cusimano, MD. Concurrent psychiatric related issues in Canadian adults with brain injuries. World Congress of Psychiatry, Madrid, September 14-18, 2014.
Selected awards and honours
- Centre for Addiction and Mental Health Post-Doctoral Fellowship
- Canadian Institute of Health Research Post-Doctoral Fellowship, St. Michael’s Hospital, Division of Neurosurgery
- Nominated TVO Best Lecturer University of Toronto
- NSERC IRDF Doctoral Fellowship
- National Science and Engineering Research Council Canada Graduate Scholarship
- National Science and Engineering Research Council Postgraduate Scholarship
- Member, Dean’s Honour Roll, York University