Associate Professor, Medical Informatics
- Healthcare knowledge management
- Health information personalization and clinical decision support
- Healthcare knowledge modeling and computerization
- Digital health based patient self-management and education
- Digital health based patient empowerment and behaviour modification
- Digital health based chronic disease and comorbid care planning
- Health information systems evaluation
- PhD Health Informatics (Dalhousie University)
- MBSS (Dow Medical College, University of Karachi)
- MSc. IT (Universiti Sains Malaysia)
Dr. Abidi has a unique skill-set; she is a clinician with expertise in health informatics. She is associate professsor in Medical Informatics, Department of Community Health and Epidemiology and adjunct associate professor at the Faculty of Computer Science. She is the recipient of COACH (Canada’s Health Informatics Association) Steven Huesing Award. She is PI and Co-I on a number CIHR and industry (Bayer Inc. and Green Shield Canada) funded projects. She has published numerous peer-reviewed papers. She is one of the unit directors for Research in Medicine (RIM) program in under-graduate medical education. She teaches health informatics topics in the Master of Health Informatics (MHI) program and supervises a number of medical informatics graduate theses.
Dr. Abidi's research program is titled “Informatics Enabled Patient-Centered Care Services” and it is inspired by Canada’s Strategy for Patient-Oriented Care (SPOR) as proposed by CIHR. Her research program aims to investigate the incorporation of medical informatics theories and methods to design and implement innovative informatics-enabled patient care solutions. She pursue a healthcare knowledge management approach to investigate, develop and evaluate digital health systems and services that focus on (a) Patient empowerment strategies to help engage and educate patients achieve efficacy and motivation to self-manage their chronic conditions in home-based setting as per their prescribed longitudinal care plan. This includes empowering patients to achieve behavior modification and self-efficacy attainment through personalized strategies delivered using mobile interfaces; and (b) Point of care decision support for chronic disease management by translating evidence-based clinical guidelines and protocols in terms of computerized decision support aids to assist health professionals to provide evidence-based and standardized risk assessment and disease management for chronic diseases.
- Abidi Samina, Vallis M, Piccinini-Vallis H, Imran SA, Abidi R. (2018). Diabetes-Related Behavior Change Knowledge Transfer to Primary Care Practitioners and Patients: Implementation and Evaluation of a Digital Health Platform. JMIR-Medical Informatics. 2018;6(2):e25
- Cox JL, Parkash R, Abidi R, Thabane L, Xie F, MacKillop J, Abidi Samina, Ciaccia A, Choudhri SH, Abusharekh A, Nemis-White J, for the IMPACT-AF Investigators. (2018). Optimizing primary care management of atrial fibrillation: the rationale and methods of the Integrated Management Program Advancing Community Treatment of Atrial Fibrillation (IMPACT-AF) study. American Health Journal. 2018 Jul;201:149-157
- Mohammadhassanzadeh H, Abidi Samina, Van Woensel W, Abidi R. Investigating Plausible Reasoning over Knowledge Graphs for Semantics-based Health Data Analytics. 27th International Conference on Enabling Technologies: Infrastructure for Collaborative Enterprises (WETICE-2018). Jun. 27-29 2018. Paris, France
- Rose-Davis B, Stringer E, Abidi Samina, Abidi R. Interactive Dialogue-Based Patient Education for Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis Using Argument Theory. 28th Medical Informatics Europe (MIE 2018). Apr. 24-26, 2018. Gothenburg, Sweden.
- Daowd A, Abidi Samina, Abusharekh A, Abidi R. A Personalized Risk Stratification Platform for Population Lifetime Healthcare. 28th Medical Informatics Europe (MIE 2018). Apr. 24-26, 2018. Gothenburg, Sweden.
- Abidi, Samina. (2017). A Knowledge-Modeling Approach to Integrate Multiple Clinical Practice Guidelines to Provide Evidence-Based Clinical Decision Support for Managing Comorbid Conditions . Journal of Medical Systems. 2017;41(12):193
- Maghsoud-Lou E, Abidi R, Christie S, Abidi, Samina, Abidi R (2017). Protocol-driven decision support embedded within e-referral systems to streamline patient consultation, Triage and referrals from primary care to specialist clinics. Journal of Medical Systems. 2017;41:139
- Roy P, Abidi Samina, Abidi SSR. (2017). Possibilistic activity recognition with uncertain observations to support medication adherence in an assisted ambient living setting. Knowledge-Based Systems. July 2017. (In Press)
- Mohammadhassanzadeh M, Van Woensel W, Abidi Samina, Abidi R. (2017). Expanding the coverage of medical knowledge bases via semantics-based plausible reasoning. BioData Mining Journal. 2017;10(7):
- Jafarpour B, Abidi, Samina, Abidi R. (2016). Exploiting owl reasoning capabilities to develop semantic-web based clinical practice Guideline execution engines. IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics. 2016; 20(1):424-431
- Roy PC, Abidi Samina, and Abidi R (2016). Monitoring medication adherence in smart environments in the context of patient self-management: a knowledge-driven approach. In: Bouchard B., Bouzouane A. and Guillet S. (eds), Assistive Technologies in Smart Environments for People with Disabilities, Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press
- Baig W, Abidi Samina, Abidi R (2015). An ontological model of behaviour theory to generate personalized action plans to modify behaviours. Health-Exploring Complexity: An Interdisciplinary Approach (HEC 2016). GMDS & DGEpi & IEA-EEF annual meeting, Medical Informatics Europe (MIE 2016). Aug. 28–Sept. 2, 2016. Munich, Germany
- Russell A, Van Woensel W, Abidi Samina (2015). The shared decision making frontier: managing non-critical chronic illness using behavioral theory, decision theory and online technology. 15th World Congress on Health and Biomedical Informatics (MEDINFO 2015). Aug. 19-23, 2015. Sao Paulo, Brazil.
- Jafarpour B, Abidi Samina, Ahmad AM, Abidi R (2015). An alert management framework to avoid physicians’ alert fatigue. 15th World Congress on Health and Biomedical Informatics (MEDINFO 2015). Aug. 19-23, 2015. Sao Paulo, Brazil.
- Abidi Samina, Vallis M, Abidi SSR, Piccinini-Valli H, Imran SA (2014). D-WISE: Diabetes Web-Centric Information and Support Environment: Conceptual Specification and Proposed Evaluation. Canadian Journal of Diabetes 2014; 38(3): 205-211
- Russell A, Abidi Samina, Abidi, SSR (2014). Shared Decision Making: Using Theories and Technology to Engage the Patient in Their Health Journey. 25th European Medical Informatics Conference (MIE2014). Istanbul, Aug. 31-Sept. 3, 2014.
- Abidi Samina (2014). Health Informatics: Opportunities, Challenges, and Prospects. In: Vaidya K & Soar J (eds) Health Informatics (e-Health) for the Curious: Why Study Health Informatics. Canberra, Australia, 2015 (in press)
Selected awards & honours
- Steven Huesing Award - awarded to the best Canadian health informatics graduate student by COACH (Canada’s Health Informatics Association) 2007
- CIHR Canada Graduate Scholarship - Doctoral Award 2006 – 2007
- NS-PIHCI- Nova Scotia Primary and Integrated Health Care Innovations Network (a part of CIHR’s Strategy for Patient Oriented Research.
- AFMC - Association of Faculties of Medicine in Canada. Faculty of Medicine, Dalhousie University’s official resource person for the AFMC’s Informatics Resource Group
- CAME – Canadian Association for Medical Education
- COACH – Canada’s Health Informatics Association
- AMIA – American Medical Informatics Association
- IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
- Associated Professor, Medical Informatics, Department of Community Health and Epidemiology, Faculty of Medicine, Dalhousie University (2016 –present)
- Associate Professor (Cross-appointment), Faculty of Computer Science, Dalhousie University, Halifax, NS (2018-2020)
- Assistant Professor, Medical Informatics Program. Division of Medical Education, Faculty of Medicine, Dalhousie University. Halifax, NS (2012-2016)
- Assistant Professor (Cross-appointment), Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Dalhousie University, Halifax, NS (2015-2018)
- Master of Health Informatics Program
- HINF 6110 - Health Informatics Systems and Issues
- HINF 6020 - Research Methods
- HINF 6110 - Health Informatics Systems and Issues
- Unit Director, Research in Medicine (RIM) Program, Under-graduate medical education.
Service & activity
- Member of AFMC-Infoway Physician in Training eHealth Subgroup
- Official Dalhousie Faculty of Medicine resource person for AFMC Informatics group
- Reviewer for national and international health informatics journals, conferences, grants
- PC member for national and international conferences
- Advisor for International Inter-disciplinary Peer-review and Advisory Panel (IIPAP)