Susan Kirkland, PhD
Professor and Head / University Research Professor
5790 University Ave, Halifax, Nova Scotia
Canada B3H 1V7
- Population Health
- Healthy Aging
- Longitudinal Cohorts
- Chronic Diseases & Frailty
- Older Adults' Engagement in Research
- Harm Reduction
- PhD (University of Toronto)
- MSc (University of Waterloo)
- BSc Honours (University of Waterloo)
Dr. Kirkland’s research lies in the areas of chronic diseases and aging; she is particularly interested in understanding the interplay of social, physical, and genetic factors that lead to individual differences in the way people age and develop chronic conditions. Dr. Kirkland is one of three principal investigators leading the Canadian Longitudinal Study on Aging. She also leads studies in lay perspectives of healthy aging, older adult engagement in research, HIV and aging, frailty, cognitive impairment and technologies to support aging in place.
- Legge, A., Kirkland, S., Rockwood, K., Andreou, P., Bae, S., Gordon, C., et al. (2019) Evaluating the properties of a frailty index and its association with mortality risk among patients with systemic lupus erythematosus. Arthritis Rheumatol. doi: 10.1002/art.40859.
- Asada Y, Hurley J, Grignon M, Kirkland S. (2018). Health Inequalities and Inequities by Age: Stability for the Health Utilities Index and Divergence for the Frailty Index. SSM Population Health, 5, 17-32. Doi: 10.1016/j.ssmph.2018.04.002
- Brothers T, Kirkland S, Thou O, Zona S, Malagoli, A, Wallace, LMK, Stentarelli C, Mussini C, Falutz J, Guaraldi G, Rockwood K. (2017). Predictors of transitions in frailty severity and mortality among people aging with HIV. PLOS ONE, 12(10). doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0185352.
- Kirkland SA, Griffith LE, Menoc V, Wister A, Wolfson C, Raina P. (2015). Mining a unique Canadian Resource: The Canadian Longitudinal Study on Aging. Canadian Journal on Aging 34(3), 1-11. Doi: 10.1017/s071498081500029x.
- Wallace LMK, Theou O, Kirkland SA, Rockwood MRH, Davidson KW, Shimbo D, Rockwood K. (2014). Accumulation of non-traditional risk factors for coronary heart disease is associated with coronary heart disease hospitalization and death. PLosONE 9(3), e90475. Doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0090475.
- Brothers, TD, Kirkland, S, Guaraldi, G, Falutz J, Theou O, Johnston BL, Rockwood, K. (2014). Frailty in people aging with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection. Journal of Infectious Diseases, 210(8), 1170-9. doi: 10.1093/infdis/jiu258.
Selected awards and honours
- University Research Professor, Dalhousie University (2018-2023)
- Visiting Professor, University of Calgary (2018)
- Decade Club Award, Nova Scotia Health Research Foundation (2013)
- CH&E 6020W (CRN 22343) - Advanced Epidemiology
Service & activity
- Member, Institute of Aging Advisory Board, Canadian Institutes for Health Research (2017- Present)
- Member, Board of Directors, AGE-WELL National Centre of Excellence (2014-Present)
- Member, Executive Committee, Northwood Group of Companies (2010-Present)
- Member, Board of Governors, Northwood Group of Companies (2008 – Present)
- Director, Atlantic Interdisciplinary Research Network for Social and Behavioural Issues in Hepatitis C and HIV/AIDS (2005 – Present)
- Member, Research Advisory Council, Northwood Group of Companies (2009 – Present)
- Member, University PhD Chair Pool, Dalhousie University (2013 – Present)
- Member, Tri Council Masters Committee, Graduate Studies, Dalhousie University (2013)