Sir Charles Tupper Medical Building, Room 7-F
5850 College Street
PO Box 15000
Halifax Nova Scotia Canada B3H 4R2
- Antiviral Drug Discovery
- DNA Damage
- mRNA turnover
BSc, University of New Brunswick
PhD, University of British Columbia
Postdoctoral Training, University of California San Francisco
Our research is focused on innate host antiviral defenses and the viral countermeasures that have evolved to subvert these defenses. We study two viruses, influenza virus and a cancer-causing herpesvirus known as KSHV.
- Khapersky DA, Schmaling S, Larkins-Ford J, McCormick C*, Gaglia MM* (2016) Selective degradation of host RNA polymerase II transcripts by influenza A virus PA-X host shutoff protein. PLoS Pathogens 12(2):e1005427 (*co-corresponding authors)
- Corcoran JA, Johnston BP, McCormick C. (2015) Viral activation of MK2-hsp27-p115RhoGEF-RhoA signaling axis causes cytoskeletal rearrangements, p-body disruption and ARE-mRNA stabilization. PLoS Pathog 11(1): e1004597.
- Khaperskyy DA, Emara MM, Johnston BP, Anderson P, Hatchette TF, McCormick C. (2014) Influenza A virus blocks antiviral stress-induced translation arrest. PLoS Pathog. 10(7): e1004217.
- Leidal AM, Cyr DP, Hill RJ, Lee PWK, McCormick C. (2012) Subversion of autophagy by Kaposi’s sarcoma-associated herpesvirus impairs oncogene-induced senescence. Cell Host & Microbe. 11(2):167-80.
- Khaperskyy DA, Hatchette TF, McCormick C. (2012) Influenza A virus inhibits cytoplasmic stress granule formation. FASEB J. 26(4):1629-39.
- Corcoran JA, Khaperskyy DA, Johnston BP, King CA, Cyr DP, Olsthoorn AV, McCormick C. (2012) Kaposi’s sarcoma-associated herpesvirus G-protein coupled receptor prevents AU-rich element-mediated mRNA decay. J. Virol. 86(16):8859-71.
- View additional publications on PubMed
Selected awards and honours:
- NS-CIHR RPP New Investigator Salary Award (2007 - 2012)
- Alberta Heritage Foundation for Medical Research (AHFMR) Personnel Award - Scholar (declined) (2006)
- Finalist for Canadian Graduate Student Microbiologist of the Year (2001)
- Finalist for NSERC Doctoral Thesis Prize (2000)
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council PGS 'B' Scholarship (1998 - 2000)
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council PGS 'A' Scholarship (1995 - 1997)
Other interests and achievemements:
- Co-founder of Canadian Society of Virology (2015)
- Co-creator and host of the "1st International Symposium on Stress-Associated RNA Granules in Human Disease and Viral Infection", held in Halifax, NS, June 8-10, 2014
- Editorial Board for Viruses (2015-2017)
- Chair, Faculty of Medicine Research Advisory Committee (2014 - present)
- Chair, Training Committee, Beatrice Hunter Cancer Research Institute (2013 - 2016)