- Cross appointee - Department of Surgery
Seeking motivated and curious individuals who would like to pursue graduate (MSc or PhD) or postdoctoral studies in my laboratory. Please send a statement of interest and a curriculum vitae to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sir Charles Tupper Medical Building, Room 10-A5,
5850 College Street
PO Box 15000
Halifax Nova Scotia Canada B3H 4R2
- Cancer Biology
- Actin Cytoskeleton
- Endothelial Cells
- Kaposi’s Sarcoma
- RNA Granules
- Cell Migration
BSc, Dalhousie University
PhD, Dalhousie University
Postdoctoral Training, University of Alberta
Postdoctoral Training, Dalhousie University
Ten to fifteen percent of all human cancers are caused by viruses; yet the precise mechanisms of viral oncogenesis remain poorly understood. We study how the virus, Kaposi’s sarcoma-associated herpesvirus (KSHV) uses specific virally-encoded oncoproteins to deregulate normal endothelial cells and cause the cancer, Kaposi’s Sarcoma (KS).
- Corcoran, J.A., B. P. Johnston, and C. McCormick. 2014. Viral activation of MK2-hsp27-p115RhoGEF-RhoA signaling axis causes cytoskeletal rearrangements, p-body disruption and ARE-mRNA stabilization. PLOS Pathogens. In Press.
- Corcoran, J.A., D. Khaperskyy, B. P. Johnston, C.A. King, D.P. Cyr, A.V. Olsthoorn, and C. McCormick. 2012. Kaposi’s sarcoma-associated herpesvirus G-protein coupled receptor prevents AU-rich element-mediated decay. J. Virol. 86(16): 8859-8871.
- Corcoran, J. A., D. A. Khaperskyy, and C. McCormick. 2011. Assays for monitoring viral manipulation of host ARE-mRNA turnover. Methods 55(2): 172-181.
- Corcoran, J. A., H. A. Saffran, B. A. Duguay and J. R. Smiley. 2009. Herpes simplex virus UL12.5 targets mitochondria through a mitochondrial localization sequence proximal to the N-terminus. J. Virol. 83:2601-10.
Selected awards and honours
- 2011 Poster Presentation First Place Award, The BHCRI 3rd Annual Cancer Research Conference
- 2011-12 Cancer Research Training Program, Postdoctoral Fellowship (Rank in Competition – 1st)
- 2011 Best Oral Presentation, ID Research Day/Canadian Center for Vaccinology
- 2010-2011 Cancer Research Training Program, Postdoctoral Fellowship
- 2007-2010 Nova Scotia Health Research Foundation, Postdoctoral Fellowship