John LeBlanc, MD, MSc
Division of General Pediatrics, Associate Professor
IWK Health Centre
PO Box 9700
L5117 - 5850/5980 University Ave.
Halifax, NS B3K 6R8
- Social and emotional skills in school-aged children
- Systematic reviews
- Bullying prevention in children and youth
- MSc: McMaster University. Design, Measurement and Evaluation, 1989
- MD: McMaster University, 1981
- FRCPC (pediatrics) 1985
Dr. LeBlanc works with schools, school boards and the Nova Scotia Department of Education to promote social and emotional skills in children and to prevent bullying. He is also involved in advocacy in the area of Early Childhood Development provincially and nationally. His work is interdisciplinary and he collaborates with educators and psychologists. He has had long-standing involvement in global health initiatives and is currently a co-PI on a five-year maternal and child health project in Tanzania.
- LeBlanc JC, Belanger SA, Andrews D, Charach A. Take home message of Task Force report: NOT the strong recommendation against developmental screening, BUT the need for rigorous research and practice. Letter to the Editor. CMAJ 2016-06-20 2016;188. DOI: 10.1503/cmaj. 151437.
- John C. LeBlanc, Tanya Bilsbury, Ashley Chisholm. "Bullying Prevention Programs for Children & Youth: A Systematic Review And Guide To Program Selection". 19 October 2016.
- John C. LeBlanc, Karisa Parkington, Nirupa Varatharasan, Adam Donato, Tanya Bilsbury. Social And Emotional Learning Programs for Schools. 21 May 2013.
- Wei Y, Kutcher S, LeBlanc JC. Hot Idea or Hot Air: A Systematic Review of Evidence for Two Widely Marketed Youth Suicide Prevention Programs and Recommendations for Implementation. J Can Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 2015;24(1):5.
- Liebenberg L, Ungar M, LeBlanc JC. The CYRM-12: A brief measure of resilience. Canadian Journal of Public Health 2013;104(2):e131-e135.
- Atlantic Pediatric Society
- Canadian Coalition for Global Health Research
- Canadian Doctors for Medicare
- Canadian Paediatric Society
Selected service and activity
- 2013-present: Board Member and Co-chair (2015-2016), Nova Scotia-Gambia Association
- 2011-2012: Member, Task force on Cyberbullying. Appointed by Minister of Education
- 2010-2013: Board Member, Nova Scotia Network for Early Human Development
- 2015-2016: Member, Institute Advisory Board for the Institute of Human Development, Child and Youth Health, Canadian Institutes of Health Research
- 2014-present: Early Years Task Force, Canadian Paediatric Society
- 2014-2016: Member, Executive Committee of the Global Child and Youth Health Section, Canadian Paediatric Society
- 2013-2015: Member, Social & Developmental Aspects of Children’s & Youth’s Health (CHI) grant review committee, Canadian Institutes of Health Research