Karina Top, MD, MS, FRCPC
Division of Infectious Diseases, Assistant Professor
Canadian Center for Vaccinology
IWK Health Centre
Goldbloom RCC Pavilion, 4th Floor
5850/5980 University Avenue
Halifax NS B3K 6R8
- Adverse events following immunization
- Infectious diseases
- Pediatric infectious diseases fellowship (Columbia University Medical Center)
- Pediatric residency (Dalhousie University)
- MSc, epidemiology (Columbia University)
- MD (Dalhousie University)
- BSc, immunology (University of Toronto)
Dr. Karina Top’s research focus is vaccine safety, including adverse events following immunization surveillance, the clinical management of patients who have experienced adverse events following immunization and vaccine safety and effectiveness in immune-compromised patients. Dr. Top is an investigator at the Canadian Center for Vaccinology, investigator with the Canadian Immunization Monitoring Program Active (IMPACT) and principal investigator of the Special Immunization Clinics Network in the Canadian Immunization Research Network.
- Top KA, Billard M-N, Gariepy M-C, Rouleau I, Pernica JM, Pham-Huy A, Quach C, Tran D, Vaudry W, Dobson S, Boucher FD, Carignan A, Jadavji T, McConnell A, McNeil SA, Halperin SA, De Serres G; Canadian Immunization Research Network’s (CIRN) Special Immunization Clinics Network investigators. Immunizing patients with adverse events following immunization and potential contraindications to immunization: A report from the Special Immunization Clinics Network. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2016;35(12):e384-e391. PubMed PMID: 27626920.
- Cassidy C, MacDonald NE, Steenbeek A, Ortiz JR, Zuber PLF, Top K. A global survey of adverse event following immunization surveillance systems for pregnant women and their infants. Hum Vaccin Immunother. 2016;12(8):2010–2016. PubMed PMID: 27159639.
- Top KA, Arkell C, Scott H, McNeil SA, Mannerfeldt J, Ortiz JR, Lambach P, MacDonald NE. Effect of package insert language on health-care providers’ perceptions of influenza vaccination safety during pregnancy [Correspondence]. Lancet Glob Health. 2016;4(10):e690–e694. PubMed PMID: 27633430.
- Top KA, Pham-Huy A, Price V, Sung L, Tran D, Vaudry W, Halperin SA, De Serres G; Canadian Immunization Research Network’s (CIRN) Special Immunization Clinic Network Investigators. Immunization practices in acute lymphocytic leukemia and post-hematopoietic stem cell transplant in Canadian Pediatric Hematology/Oncology centers [Short Report]. Hum Vaccin Immunother. 2016;12(4):931–936. PubMed PMID: 26962702.
- Top KA, Desai S, Moore D, Law BJ, Vaudry W, Halperin SA, Bettinger JA. Guillain-Barré Syndrome after immunization in Canadian children (1996–2012) [Brief Report]. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2015;34(12):1411–1413. PubMed PMID: 26379167.
Selected awards and honours
- Vaccine and Edward Jenner Vaccine Society Young Investigator Program Scholar, 2014–2017
- Jonathan Freeman Scholarship, SHEA/CDC Training Course in Healthcare Epidemiology, 2011
- Travel Award, 23rd Annual Meeting of the Eastern Society for Pediatric Research, 2011
- Presentation award, Department of Pediatrics Research Day, Dalhousie University, 2008
- Dr. J. Donald Hatcher Research Award, Dalhousie University, 2005
- Association of Medical Microbiology and Infectious Disease Canada (AMMI Canada)
- Brighton Collaboration
- Canadian Association for Immunization and Research Evaluation (CAIRE)
- Infectious Diseases Society of America (IDSA)
- Pediatric Infectious Diseases Society
Service & activity
- Member, Operations Committee, Canadian Centre for Vaccinology, 2014-present
- Program director, Pediatric Infectious Diseases Residency Training Program, Dalhousie University and IWK Health Centre, 2013–present
- Member, Vaccine Vigilance Working Group, Public Health Agency of Canada, 2012–present
- Member, Antimicrobial Subcommittee of the Drugs and Therapeutics Committee, IWK Health Centre, 2011-present
- Member, Organizing Committee for the 6th CIHR Institute of Infection and Immunity New Investigator Forum, 2014–2015