Karina Top, MD, MS, FRCPC
Division of Infectious Diseases, Assistant Professor
Canadian Center for Vaccinology
IWK Health Centre
Goldbloom RCC Pavilion, 4th Floor
5850/5980 University Avenue
Halifax NS B3K 6R8
- Adverse events following immunization
- Infectious diseases
- Pediatric infectious diseases fellowship (Columbia University Medical Center)
- Pediatric residency (Dalhousie University)
- MSc, epidemiology (Columbia University)
- MD (Dalhousie University)
- BSc, immunology (University of Toronto)
Dr. Karina Top’s research focus is vaccine safety, including adverse events following immunization surveillance, the clinical management of patients who have experienced adverse events following immunization and vaccine safety and effectiveness in immune-compromised patients. Dr. Top is an investigator at the Canadian Center for Vaccinology, investigator with the Canadian Immunization Monitoring Program Active (IMPACT) and principal investigator of the Special Immunization Clinics Network in the Canadian Immunization Research Network.
- Zafack JG, De Serres G, Kiely M, Gariépy MC, Rouleau I, Top KA; for the Canadian Immunization Research Network. Risk of recurrence of adverse events following immunization: a systematic review. Pediatrics. 2017;140(3):e20163707. PubMed PMID: 28847985.
- Top KA, Billard M-N, Gariepy M-C, Rouleau I, Pernica JM, Pham-Huy A, Quach C, Tran D, Vaudry W, Dobson S, Boucher FD, Carignan A, Jadavji T, McConnell A, McNeil SA, Halperin SA, De Serres G; Canadian Immunization Research Network’s (CIRN) Special Immunization Clinics Network investigators. Immunizing patients with adverse events following immunization and potential contraindications to immunization: A report from the Special Immunization Clinics Network. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2016;35(12):e384-e391. PubMed PMID: 27626920.
- Top KA, Arkell C, Scott H, McNeil SA, Mannerfeldt J, Ortiz JR, Lambach P, MacDonald NE. Effect of package insert language on health-care providers’ perceptions of influenza vaccination safety during pregnancy [Correspondence]. Lancet Glob Health. 2016;4(10):e690–e694. PubMed PMID: 27633430.
- Cassidy C, MacDonald NE, Steenbeek A, Ortiz JR, Zuber PLF, Top K. A global survey of adverse event following immunization surveillance systems for pregnant women and their infants. Hum Vaccin Immunother. 2016;12(8):2010–2016. PubMed PMID: 27159639.
- Top KA, Desai S, Moore D, Law BJ, Vaudry W, Halperin SA, Bettinger JA. Guillain-Barré Syndrome after immunization in Canadian children (1996–2012) [Brief Report]. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2015;34(12):1411–1413. PubMed PMID: 26379167
Selected awards and honours
- Vaccine and Edward Jenner Vaccine Society Young Investigator Program Scholar, 2014–2017
- Jonathan Freeman Scholarship, SHEA/CDC Training Course in Healthcare Epidemiology, 2011
- Travel Award, 23rd Annual Meeting of the Eastern Society for Pediatric Research, 2011
- Presentation award, Department of Pediatrics Research Day, Dalhousie University, 2008
- Dr. J. Donald Hatcher Research Award, Dalhousie University, 2005
- Association of Medical Microbiology and Infectious Disease Canada (AMMI Canada)
- Brighton Collaboration
- Canadian Association for Immunization and Research Evaluation (CAIRE)
- Infectious Diseases Society of America (IDSA)
- Pediatric Infectious Diseases Society
- Canadian Paediatric Society
Service & activity
- Member, Department of Pediatrics Research Committee, Dalhousie University, IWK Health Centre, 2017-present
- Member, Association of Medical Microbiology and Infectious Disease Canada Education and Continuing Professional Devleopment Committee, 2016-present
- External Expert, National Advisory Committee on Immunization Vaccine Safety Working Group, 2016-present
- Program director, Pediatric Infectious Diseases Residency Training Program, Dalhousie University and IWK Health Centre, 2013–present
- Member, Vaccine Vigilance Working Group, Public Health Agency of Canada, 2012–present
- Member, Antimicrobial Stewardship Committee, IWK Health Centre, 2011-present