Karina Top, MD, MS, FRCPC
Division of Infectious Diseases, Associate Professor
Canadian Center for Vaccinology
IWK Health Centre
Goldbloom RCC Pavilion, 4th Floor
5850/5980 University Avenue
Halifax NS B3K 6R8
- Adverse events following immunization
- Infectious diseases
- Pediatric infectious diseases fellowship (Columbia University Medical Center)
- Pediatric residency (Dalhousie University)
- MSc, epidemiology (Columbia University)
- MD (Dalhousie University)
- BSc(Hons), immunology (University of Toronto)
Dr. Karina Top’s research focuses on vaccine safety, including adverse events following immunization surveillance, the clinical management of patients who have experienced adverse events following immunization and vaccine safety and effectiveness in immune-compromised patients. Dr. Top is an investigator at the Canadian Center for Vaccinology, investigator with the Canadian Immunization Monitoring Program Active (IMPACT) and principal investigator of the Special Immunization Clinic Network in the Canadian Immunization Research Network.
- Pham-Huy A, Sadarangani M, Huang V, Ostensen M, Castillo E, Troster SM, Vaudry W, Nguyen GC, Top KA. From mother to baby: Antenatal exposure to monoclonal antibody biologics. Expert Rev Clin Immunol. 2019;15(3)221–229. PubMed PMID: 30570400.
- McNair J, Smith A, Bettinger JA, Vaudry W, Tan B, Desai S, Halperin SA, Top KA; for the members of IMPACT. Invasive Haemophlus influenza type b (Hib) infections in children with cancer in the era of infant Hib immunization programs (1991-2014): a report from the Canadian Immunization Monitoring Program Active. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2018;37(7):726–728. PubMed PMID: 29200182.
- Zafack JG, De Serres G, Kiely M, Gariépy MC, Rouleau I, Top KA; for the Canadian Immunization Research Network. Risk of recurrence of adverse events following immunization: a systematic review. Pediatrics. 2017;140(3):e20163707. PubMed PMID: 28847985.
- Top KA, Billard M-N, Gariepy M-C, Rouleau I, Pernica JM, Pham-Huy A, Quach C, Tran D, Vaudry W, Dobson S, Boucher FD, Carignan A, Jadavji T, McConnell A, McNeil SA, Halperin SA, De Serres G; Canadian Immunization Research Network’s (CIRN) Special Immunization Clinics Network investigators. Immunizing patients with adverse events following immunization and potential contraindications to immunization: A report from the Special Immunization Clinics Network. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2016;35(12):e384-e391. PubMed PMID: 27626920.
- Top KA, Arkell C, Scott H, McNeil SA, Mannerfeldt J, Ortiz JR, Lambach P, MacDonald NE. Effect of package insert language on health-care providers’ perceptions of influenza vaccination safety during pregnancy [Correspondence]. Lancet Glob Health. 2016;4(10):e690–e694. PubMed PMID: 27633430.
Selected awards and honours
- Junior Faculty Researcher Award, Department of Pediatrics, Dalhousie University, 2018
- Vaccine and Edward Jenner Vaccine Society Young Investigator Program Scholar, 2014–2017
- Jonathan Freeman Scholarship, SHEA/CDC Training Course in Healthcare Epidemiology, 2011
- Travel Award, 23rd Annual Meeting of the Eastern Society for Pediatric Research, 2011
- Dr. J. Donald Hatcher Research Award, Dalhousie University, 2005
- Association of Medical Microbiology and Infectious Disease Canada (AMMI Canada)
- Brighton Collaboration
- Canadian Association for Immunization and Research Evaluation (CAIRE)
- Infectious Diseases Society of America (IDSA)
- Pediatric Infectious Diseases Society
- Canadian Paediatric Society
Service & activity
- Member, CAIRE Executive, 2019-present
- Chair, CIRN Training and Education Committee, 2017-present
- Council member, Association of Medical Microbiology and Infectious Disease Canada Board of Directors, May 2018–present
- Member, Department of Pediatrics Research Committee, Dalhousie University, IWK Health Centre, 2017–present
- External Expert, National Advisory Committee on Immunization Vaccine Safety Working Group, 2016–present
- Program director, Pediatric Infectious Diseases Residency Training Program, Dalhousie University and IWK Health Centre, 2013–2018
- Member, Antimicrobial Stewardship Committee, IWK Health Centre, 2011–present