Krista Jangaard, MD
Division of Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine, Associate Professor
IWK Health Centre
PO Box 9700
5850-5980 University Ave.
Halifax, NS B3K 6R8
- MHSA (Dalhousie University)
- Neonatal-Perinatal Fellowship (Dalhousie University)
- Pediatric Residency (IWK Children's Hospital)
- MD (Dalhousie University)
- Vice President, Medicine and Academic Affairs, IWK Health Centre
- Staff neonatologist, IWK Health Centre
- Neonatal Clinical Advisor, Reproductive Care Program of Nova Scotia
- Associate Professor, Departments of Pediatrics and Obstetrics & Gynecology, Dalhousie University
Dr. Krista Jangaard is an associate professor within the Departments of Pediatrics and Obstetrics & Gynecology. Currently she serves as the Vice President of Medicine and Academic Affairs at the IWK Health Centre and as the Neonatal Clinical Advisor to the Reproductive Care Program of Nova Scotia, which provides the dual purpose of perinatal clinical standard review and data collection for the population.
Dr. Jangaard has participated in a number of population-based neonatal outcome studies utilizing the Nova Scotia Perinatal Database. Her research interests are in the areas of neonatal outcomes with respect to hyperbilirubinemia, breastfeeding/nutrition, development linked to physical environment, maternal diabetes and maternal inflammatory conditions.
- Frenette P, Dodds L, Armson BA, Jangaard K. Preterm prelabour rupture of membranes: Effect of latency on neonatal and maternal outcomes. J Obstet Gynaecol Can 2013; 35(8):710-717.
- Feldman K, Woolcott C, O’Connell C, Jangaard K. Neonatal outcomes in spontaneous versus obstetrically indicated late preterm births in a Nova Scotia population. J Obstet Gynaecol Can 2012; 34(12):1158-1166.
- Jangaard KA, Fell D, Dodds L, Allen A. Outcomes in a population of healthy term and near-term infants with serum bilirubin levels of > or = 325 micromol/L (> or = 19 mg/dL) who were born in Nova Scotia, Canada between 1994 to 2000. Pediatrics 2008 Jul; 122(1):119-24.
- Liston F, Allen V, O’Connell C, Jangaard K. Neonatal outcomes with caesarean delivery at term. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed. 2008 May; 93(3):F176-82.
- Jangaard KA, Vincer MJ, Allen AC. A randomized trial of aggressive versus conservative phototherapy for hyperbilirubinemia in infants weighing less than 1500 g: Short- and long-term outcomes. Paediatr Child Health 2007 Dec; 12(10):853-858.
Memberships, services and activities
- Canadian College of Health Leaders
- Canadian Paediatric Society, Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine Section
- Society of Pediatrics Residents
- Canadian Medical Association
- Nova Scotia College of Physicians and Surgeons of Nova Scotia
- Doctors Nova Scotia
- Canadian Perinatal Surveillance Program
Dr. Jangaard is actively involved in many aspects of undergraduate and pediatric education. She is strongly supportive of a case-based learning curriculum and of the Research in Medicine (RIM) program.
Undergraduate Medical Education:
- Tutor – Foundations & Human Reproduction
- Case Writer & Lecturer in Professional Competencies, Metabolism II
- Clinical Skills Teaching, Newborn Medicine
Postgraduate Medical Education:
- Participates in Pediatric, Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine and Obstetrical Resident Half Days
- Database Session for Research Course
- Shared Intrinsic Curriculum for Subspecialty Fellows