Carman Giacomantonio, MD MSc FRCSC
1276 South Park Street
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Canada B3H 2Y9
- Cancer metastases
- Breast cancer
- Cancer stem cells
- Tumor microenvironment
- Cancer immunology and immunotherapy
- Targeted therapy
- Biopsy induced cancer metastases
- BSc (Dalhousie University)
- MSc (Dalhousie University)
- MD (Memorial University)
- General Surgery Residency (Dalhousie University)
- General Surgical Oncology (University of Calgary)
Dr. Giacomantonio’s research focuses on the impact of surgical procedures, specifically biopsies on the tumor microenvironment and subsequent development of cancer metastases, and ways to mitigate this risk through targeted therapies. His lab is also studying the mechanism of action of interleukin-2 therapy in the treatment of melanoma and other cancers.
- Mathenge Edward, Dean Cheryl, Clements Derek, AVaghar-Kashani hmad, Photopoulos Steffany, Coyle Krysta, Giacomantonio Michael, Malueth Benjamin, Nunokawa Anna, Jordan Julie, Lewis John, Gujar Shashi, Marcato Paola, Lee Patrick and Giacomantonio Carman. Core needle biopsy of breast cancer tumors increases distant metastases in a mouse model. Neoplasia, 2014 Nov; 16(11):950-960.
- Marcato P, Dean CA, Liu R-Z, Bydoun M, Wallace M, Turner C, Mathenge E, Gujar SA, Giacomantonio CA, Mackey JR, Godbout R, Lee PWK. Aldehyde dehydrogenase 1A3 influences breast cancer progression via differential retinoic acid signaling. Molecular Oncology, 2015 Jan; 9(1):17-31.
- Pierre Dube, Lucas Sideris, Calvin Law, Lloyd Mack, Erika Haase, Carman Giacomantonio, Anand Govindarajan, Monika Krzyzanowska, Yarrow McConnell, Pierre Major, Walley Temple, Rami Younan and J. Andrea McCart. GUIDELINES ON THE USE OF CYTOREDUCTIVE SURGERY AND HIPEC IN PATIENTS WITH PERITONEAL SURFACE MALIGNANCY: From the Canadian HIPEC Collaborative Group. Current Oncology, Jan, 2015.
- McConnell YJ, Giacomantonio CA. Malignant triton tumors _ complete surgical resection and adjuvant radiotherapy associated with improved survival. J Surg Oncol. 2012 Jul 1:106(1):51-6.
- Tarrant, J.P., Walsh, M.J., Blanchard, M.C., Lee, T.D.G., Hoskin, D.W., and Giacomantonio, C.A. Reduced tumorigenicity of B16-F10 mouse melanoma cells transfected with mycobacterial antigen 85A. Int. J. Oncol., 2004; 25: 1693-1699.
Selected awards & honors
- Dalhousie University Senior Clinical Scholar Award, 2010
- Dal Department of Surgery Excellence in Teaching Award, 2003, 2004, 2007