Jonathan R.B. Trites
3rd Floor, Dickson Bldg
5820 Unversity Ave.
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada B3H 1V7
- head and neck cancer
- head and neck reconstruction
- BSc, Biology, Acadia University
- MD, Dalhousie University
- Residency, Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, Western University
- Fellowship, Head and Neck Surgical Oncology and Microvascular Reconstruction, University of Iowa
Clinical, academic and research interests
Dr. Trites’s clinical practice involves the surgical management of benign and malignant neoplasms of the head, neck, face and skull base, thyroid, parathyroid and salivary glands. Areas of particular interest include the functional reconstruction of surgical and traumatic deformities and facial paralysis. Academic interests include surgical education, global health, image guidance in oral cancer, serum biomarkers in thyroid cancer, and objective outcomes in free tissue transfer.
- Long-term functional donor site morbidity of the free radial forearm flap in head and neck cancer survivors. Orlik JR, Horwich P, Bartlett C, Trites J, Hart R, Taylor SM.J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2014 Jan 13;43:1.
- Serum biomarkers of papillary thyroid cancer. Makki FM, Taylor SM, Shahnavaz A, Leslie A, Gallant J, Douglas S, Teh E, Trites J, Bullock M, Inglis K, Pinto DM, Hart RD. J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2013 Feb 7;42:16.
- Prognostic factors for metastatic cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma of the parotid. Makki FM, Mendez AI, Taylor SM, Trites J, Bullock M, Flowerdew G, Hart RD. J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2013 Feb 5;42:14.
- Effect of fibula free flap harvest on the gait of head and neck cancer patients: preliminary results. Macdonald KI, Mark Taylor S, Trites JR, Fung EW, Barnsley PG, Dunbar MJ, Lorne Leahey J, Hart RD. J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2011 Feb;40 Suppl 1:S34-40.
- Total nasal reconstruction: use of a radial forearm free flap, titanium mesh, and a paramedian forehead flap. Henry EL, Hart RD, Mark Taylor S, Trites JR, Harris J, O'Connell DA, Seikaly H. J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2010 Dec;39(6):697-702.
- Complete spontaneous regression of metastatic merkel cell carcinoma: a case report and review of the literature. Wooff JC, Trites JR, Walsh NM, Bullock MJ. Am J Dermatopathol. 2010 Aug;32(6):614-7.
- Fat graft pedicle stabilization in head and neck microvascular reconstruction. Sader C, Hart R, Trites JR, Phillips T, Rigby MH, Taylor SM. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2010 Mar;125(3):893-5.
- Arteriovenous malformation of the scalp with cerebral steal. Kelly K, Trites JR, Taylor SM, Bullock M, Hart RD. Head Neck. 2009 Nov;31(11):1520-3.
- Sentinel lymph node biopsy in N0 squamous cell carcinoma of the oral cavity and oropharynx. Hart RD, Nasser JG, Trites JR, Taylor SM, Bullock M, Barnes D. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2005 Jan;131(1):34-8.
Selected awards and honours
- Manuary Spokesperson, Head & Neck Cancer Fundraiser (QE-II Foundation, Cancer Care Nova Scotia), 2014
- Staff Teaching Award, Dalhousie Division of Otolaryngology-HNS, 2013
- Distinguished Service Award, Canadian Society of Otolaryngology-HNS, 2012
- Distinguished Alumnus, Western University Dept. Otolaryngology-HNS: 2010
- Outstanding Educator, Dalhousie Medicine Class of 2006: June 2005
- First Place, Poliquin-Xomed National Residents’ Research Competition, 53rd Annual Meeting of the Canadian Society of Otolaryngology-HNS, 1999
- Fellow, Royal College of Surgeons of Canada (1999)
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons (2009)
- Diplomate, American Board of Otolaryngology (2000)
- Member, Canadian Society of Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery
- Member, Canadian Association of Head & Neck Surgical Oncology