Matthew H. Rigby
5820 University Ave.
3rd Floor Dickson Bldg.
Halifax Nova Scotia B3H 2Y9
- transoral laser microsurgery
- head and neck reconstruction
- clinical outcomes
- treatment-related quality of life
- health outcomes monitoring and standardization
- BA, Intercultural Studies, Houghton College
- MD, Dalhousie University
- Residency, Dalhousie Division of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery
- MPH, Harvard University
- Fellowship, Dalhousie Division of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery,Head and Neck Oncology, Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Fellowship, Mayo Clinic Arizona Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Advanced Head and Neck, Microvascular and Reconstructive Surgery
Clinical and research interests
Dr. Rigby’s clinical interests include head and neck surgical oncology, thyroid and parathyroid surgery, rhinology, anterior skull base surgery, microvascular surgery, and head and neck reconstruction. His research interests focus on clinical outcomes and the development of medical information systems that facilitate standardization and analysis of these outcomes.
- Makki F, Rigby MH, Bullock M, Hart R, Brown T, Trites J, Hinni M, Taylor SM. CO(2) laser versus cold steel margin analysis following endoscopic excision of glottic cancer. Journal of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery. 2014 43:6.
- Taylor SM, Kerr P, Fung K, Aneeshkumar MK, Wilke D, Jiang Y, Scott J, Phillips J, Hart RD; Trites JR, Rigby MH. Treatment of T1b glottic SCC: Laser vs Radiation- A Canadian Multicenter Prospective study. Journal of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery.2013, 42:22.
- Kerr P, Taylor SM, Rigby MH, Myers C, Osborn H, Lambert P, Sutherland D, Fung K. Oncologic and Voice Outcomes After Transoral Laser Microsurgery for Early Glottic Cancer – a Multicenter Canadian Review. Journal of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery. 2012 Dec;41:381-388.
- Rigby MH, Taylor SM. A Review of Transoral Laser Microsurgery for Cancer of the Upper Aerodigestive Tract. Journal of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery. 2011 Apr;40(2):113-21.
- Rigby MH, Taylor SM. Endoscopic Treatment of Cis-T2 Glottic Cancer with CO2 Laser: Preliminary Results from a Canadian Centre. Journal of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery 2007 Apr; 36(2):106-10.
Selected awards and honours
- Canadian Society of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery Clinical Fellowship Award Grant (2012−2013)
- Ross Stewart Smith Memorial Fellowship in Medical Research (2012)
- Killam Scholarship (2011)
- Dr. B. L. Jewett Memorial Prize (awarded for excellence in head and neck oncology research) (2008, 2010, 2011)
- Dr. J. W. Merritt Prize (highest standing in surgery over all four years of medical school) (2007)