Yukiko Asada, PhD
Professor and Graduate Coordinator, on Sabbatical Leave (2021-2022)
- Health services research
- Population health
- Health policy
- Social determinants of health
- Health inequity and inequality
- Public deliberation
- Postdoctoral fellowship (Dalhousie University)
- PhD (University of Wisconsin-Madison, United States)
- MSc (University of Tsukuba, Japan)
- BSc (University of Tsukuba, Japan)
Dr. Asada’s interests lie in the intersection of health services research, population health, and ethics. She examines ethical assumptions underlying quantitative methods used in health services research and population health. Her research contributes to track successes and failures of health policy decisions in a manner consistent to values shared in society.
- Asada Y, Grignon M, Hurley J, Kirkland S. Cautionary tails of grip strength in health inequality studies: An analysis from the Canadian Longitudinal Study on Aging. Social Science & Medicine 2020;265: 113382.
- Asada Y, Urquhart R, Brown M, Warner G, McNally M, Murphy A. Troutville: Where people discuss fairness issues. Canadian Journal of Bioethics 2020;3:1. https://www.cjb-rcb.ca/index.php/cjb-rcb/article/view/223.
- Duran D, Asada Y, Millum J, Gezmu M. Harmonizing health disparities measurement. American Journal of Public Health 2019; 109: S25-S27.
- Hajizadeh M, Bombay A, Asada Y. Socioeconomic inequalities in psychological distress and suicidal behaviors among Indigenous peoples living off-reserve in Canada. Canadian Medical Association Journal 2019; 191: E325-336.
- Asada Y, Abel H, Skedgel C, Warner G. On effective graphic communication of health inequality: Considerations for health policy researchers. The Milbank Quarterly 2017; 95: 801-835.
- Asada Y, Hurley J, Northeim OF, Johri M. Unexplained health inequality – is it unfair? International Journal for Equity in Health 2015; 14: 11.
- Asada Y, Hurley J, Northeim OF, Johri M. A three-stage approach to measuring health inequalities and inequities. International Journal for Equity in Health 2014; 13: 98.
- Asada Y. Health Inequality: Morality and Measurement. Toronto: Toronto University Press, pp. 256, 2007.
Selected awards and honours
- The Philip M. Farrell Population Health Distinguished Alumni Award, Department of Population Health Sciences, School of Medicine and Public Health, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, Wisconsin, United States (2019)
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) New Investigator Salary Award (2008-2013)
- Dalhousie University Faculty of Medicine Clinical Research Scholar Award (2007-2010)
Graduate courses in the Department of Community Health and Epidemiology
- CH&E 5010 – Principles of Epidemiology and Population Health (co-teaching with Dan Dutton)
- CH&E 8020 – Epidemiology and Applied Health Research, Equity in health and health care module, the course coordinator
Undergraduate Medical Education
- Professional Competencies Unit
Service & activity
- Department of Community Health and Epidemiology, Graduate Coordinator
- Department of Community Health and Epidemiology, Admissions and Recruitment Committee, Chair
- The Justice Emmett Hall Memorial Foundation, Board of Directors, Member
- CIHR Project Grant, Social Dimensions of Aging Peer Review Committee, Reviewer
- Local Site Co-Principal Investigator with Susan Kirkland. Canadian Longitudinal Study on Aging (CLSA)
- The National Institute on Minority Health and health Disparities (NIMHD) Science visioning process on health disparities measurement and methods science, content expert and lead author, Washington, DC, United States (2016-19)