Babar Haroon, MD, FRCP(C), Dip (Clin Epi), MEd
- MEd (Acadia University)
- Critical Care Fellowship (Dalhousie University)
- Diploma in Clinical Epidemiology (Memorial University)
- Internal Medicine Residency (Memorial University)
- MD (Memorial University)
- BSc (University of New Brunswick)
Director, Royal College Subspecialty Training Program, Adult Critical Care
Education Director, Canadian Critical Care Society Board of Directors
Royal College Surveyor, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
Member, Canadian Society of Internal Medicine Education Committee
Member, Internal Medicine Exam Board, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
Dr. Haroon’s main interest lies in simulation based medical education. He is a member of the simulation group in the Department of Critical Care and he serves as the simulation lead in the Department of Internal Medicine at the undergraduate level for Dalhousie Medical School. He is a member of the residency training committees for the Departments of Critical Care and Internal Medicine.
- Walsh, S., Searle, S., Davis, G., Mercier, T., Haroon, B., McMullen, S., & Rockwood, K. Frailty in Critical Care: Patient Mobility as a Clinical Predictor. Canadian Journal of Anesthesia [Submitted]
- Rafiq, F., Jarrar, A., Hamodat, H., Ali, M., Syed, S., Haroon, B. (2018). Opinion - Cultural competencies and tips to keep in mind when interacting with Muslim patients. Dalhousie Medical Journal, 45(1), 17-18
- Jeffery, R., Walsh, S., & Haroon, B. (2018). Q fever Endocarditis: A Diagnostic Challenge. Canadian Journal of General Internal Medicine, 12(1), 23-25
- Bader, M. S., Yi, Y., Abouchehade, K., Haroon, B., Bishop, L. D., & Hawboldt, J. (2016). Community-Acquired Pneumonia in Patients With Diabetes Mellitus: Predictors of Complications and Length of Hospital Stay. The American Journal of the Medical Sciences.
- Bader, M. S., Yi, Y., Abouchehade, K., Haroon, B., Bishop, L. D., & Hawboldt, J. (2015). Community-Acquired Pneumonia in Elderly Patients With Diabetes Mellitus: Outcomes and Time to First Dose of Appropriate Antibiotic Therapy. Infectious Diseases in Clinical Practice, 23(6), 294-300.
- Roberts, D. J., Haroon, B., & Hall, R. I. (2012). Sedation for critically ill or injured adults in the intensive care unit. Drugs, 72(14), 1881-1916.
- Bader, M. S., Yi, Y., Abouchehade, K., Haroon, B., Bishop, L. D., & Hawboldt, J. (2011). Antibiotic administration longer than eight hours after triage and mortality of community-acquired pneumonia in patients with diabetes mellitus. European Journal of Clinical Microbiology & Infectious Diseases, 30(7), 881-886
- Bader, M.S., Haroon, B., Trahey, J., Al-Musawi, A., & Hawboldt, J. (2011). Disseminated intravascular coagulation and venous thromboembolism due to acute Epstein-Barr virus infection. Infectious Diseases in Clinical Practice, 19(4), 2840285
Selected research presentations
- Podium presentation - Scoping Review on Behaviour Remediation in Postgraduate Medical Trainees. Rafiq F & Haroon B. [accepted abstract]. 2019 Canadian Conference on Medical Education (CCME), Niagara Falls, ONT, Canada
- Podium presentation - A Scoping Review on Competency Based Medical Education and Behaviour Remediation in Postgraduate Medical Trainees. Rafiq F & Haroon B. 2018 Atlantic Provinces Chapter, American College of Physicians, Halifax, NS, Canada
- Poster presentation - Navigating the Curriculum Map. Acuna J & Haroon B. International Conference on Residency Education (ICRE), Halifax, NS, Canada
- Podium case presentation - Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma Diagnosed in a Patient on Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation. Arseneau I, Petropolis H, Blackman R, Fraser H, Epstein I, Anderson D, & Haroon, B. 2018 Society of Critical Care Medicine (SCCM), Hawaii, USA
- Podium presentation - Assessing Adherence to ACLS Protocols in Residents at a Canadian Teaching Hospital during Cardiac Arrest: A Simulation Based Study. Kennedy R, Sharma S, Bulter M, Haroon B, & Witter T. European Society of Intensive Care Medicine (ESICM), Berlin, Germany
- 2018 Silver Shovel Award, Faculty of Medicine, Dalhousie University
- 2017 Award of Excellence in Education, Faculty of Medicine, Dalhousie University
- 2016 Educator of the Year, Department of Critical Care, Dalhousie University
- 2016 Excellence in Medical Education, Department of Medicine, Dalhousie University