Dr. Channakeshava Umeshappa
- Human immunology and inflammation
DVM: Karnataka Veterinary, Animal and Fisheries Sciences University, India
MVSc: Indian Veterinary Research Institute, India
PhD: University of Saskatchewan, Canada
Postdoctoral Training: University of Calgary, Canada
My research program studies immunoregulation in chronic diseases, mainly autoimmunity and cancer. We employ cutting-edge systems and methods, including genetically modified murine systems, ‘omics’ and synthetic biology approaches, highly-parametric flow cytometry, and imaging, to understand the origins of the diseases and develop immunotherapies. We involve a leading-edge interdisciplinary team of established scientists, clinicians, and trainees to translate research findings into effective therapies.
For a full list of Dr. Umeshappa's publications, click here.
1. Umeshappa CS⫛, Solé P⫛, Yamanouchi J, Mohapatra S, Surewaard BG, Garnica J, Singha S, Mondal D, Cortes E, D’Mello C, Mason A, Kubes P, Serra P, Yang Y and Santamaria P. Re-programming liver-resident Natural Killer T cells to suppress autoimmune inflammation. Nature Communications. (Under Revision, 2021) ⫛Co-first authors.
2. Qin L, Zhang H, Zhou Y, Umeshappa CS*,#, Gao H*. 2021. Nanovaccine-based strategies to overcome LDIMP cascade for tumor immunotherapy. Small. 2006000. *Corresponding authors. #Collaborative work.
3. Hu C, Lei T, Wang Y, Cao J, Yang X, Qin L, Liu R, Zhou Y, Tong F, Umeshappa CS*,#, and Gao H*. 2020. Phagocyte-membrane-coated and laser-responsive nanoparticles control primary and metastatic cancer by inducing anti-tumor immunity. Biomaterials. 25:120159. *Corresponding authors. #Collaborative work.
4. Umeshappa CS, Mbongue J, Singha S, Mohapatra S, Yamanouchi J, Nanjundappa RH, Shao K, Christen U, Yang Y, Ellestad K, and Santamaria P. 2020. Ubiquitous antigen-specific T-regulatory type 1 cells variably suppress hepatic and extra-hepatic autoimmunity. Journal of Clinical Investigation. 130(4):1823-1829.
5. Qin L, Cao J, Shao K, Tong F, Yang Z, Lei T, Wang Y, Hu C, Umeshappa CS#, Sun X, Gao H and Peppas NA. 2020. A tumor-to-lymph procedure navigated versatile gel system for combinatorial therapy against tumor recurrence and metastasis. Science Advances. 6(36):eabb3116. #Collaborative work.
6. Umeshappa CS, Singha S, Blanco J, Shao K, Nanjundappa RH, Yamanouchi J, Parés A, Serra P, Yang Y, Santamaria P. 2019. Suppression of a broad-spectrum of liver autoimmune pathologies by single peptide-MHC-based nanomedicines. Nature Communications. 10(1): 2150.
7. Liu R, Yu M, Yang X, Umeshappa CS#, Hu C, Yu W, Qin L, Huang Y and Gao H. 2019. Linear chimeric triblock molecules self-assembled micelles with controllably transformable property to enhance tumor retention for chemo- photodynamic therapy of breast cancer. Advanced Functional Materials. 29(23):1808462. #Collaborative work.
8. Nanjundappa RH, Ronchi F, Wang J, Clemente-Casares X, Yamanouchi J, Umeshappa CS, Yang Y, Blanco J, Bassolas H, Salas A, Serra P, Slattery RM, Wyss M, Macpherson AJ, McKay DM, McCoy KD, Santamaria P. 2017. A gut microbial autoantigen mimic that hijacks diabetogenic autoreactivity to suppress colitis. Cell. 171(3):655-667.
9. Singha S, Shao K, Yang Y, Clemente-Casares X, Sole P, Clemente A, Blanco J, Dai Q, Song F, Liu SW, Yamanouchi J, Umeshappa CS, Nanjundappa RH, Detampel P, Amrein M, Fandos C, Tanguay R, Newbigging S, Serra P, Khadra A, Chan W, and Santamaria P. 2017. Peptide-MHC-based nanomedicines for autoimmunity function as T-cell receptor microclustering devices. Nature Nanotechnology. 12(7):701-710.
10. Umeshappa CS, Nanjundappa RH, Xie Y, Freywald A, Xu Q, Xiang J. 2013. Differential requirements of CD4+ T-cell signals for effector CTL priming & CTL memory against cancer at higher CD8+ T-cell precursor frequency. Immunology. 138:298.
11. Umeshappa CS*, Singh KP*, Pandey AB, Singh RP, Nanjundappa RH. 2010. Cell-mediated Immune Responses and Cross-protective Efficacy of Binary Ethylenimine (BEI)-Inactivated BTV-1 vaccine in Sheep. Vaccine. 28:2522-31. *Corresponding authors.
12. Umeshappa CS, Huang H, Xie Y, Wei Y, Mulligan SJ, Deng Y and Xiang J. 2009. CD4+ Th-APC with acquired peptide/MHC Class I and II complexes stimulate type 1 helper CD4+ and central memory CD8+ T cell responses. Journal of Immunology.182:193-206.