Sir Charles Tupper Medical Building, Room 11C1
5850 College Street
PO Box 15000
Halifax Nova Scotia Canada B3H 4R2
- Cell Biology
- Cancer Biology
- Breast Cancer
- Cancer Stem Cells
BA/BSc, University of Alberta
PhD, University of Alberta
Postdoctoral Training, Dalhousie University
My laboratory has two main research focuses both related to breast cancer progression. First, we are trying to understand the role that cancer stem cells (CSCs) play in breast cancer metastasis. Second, we are investigating the role of the retinoic acid signaling pathway in CSC biology and breast cancer progression.
- Marcato, P., Dean, C.A., Liu, R.-Z., Bydoun, M., Wallace, M., Clements, D., Turner, C., Mathenge, E., Gujar, S.A., Giacomantonio, C.A., Mackey J.R., Godbout, R., Lee, P.W.K. Breast cancer stem cell marker ALDH1A3 initiates retinoic acid signaling and determines breast cancer progression (submitted).
- Marcato, P., Dean, C.A., Giacomantonio, C.A., Lee, P.W.K. (2011) Aldehyde dehydrogenase: its role as a cancer stem marker comes down to the specific isoform. Cell Cycle. 10(9):1378-84.
- Marcato, P., Dean, C.A., Pan, D., Araslanova, R., Gillis, M.E., Joshi, M., Helyer, L., Pan, L., Leidal, A., Gujar, S., Giacomantonio, C.A., Lee, P.W.K. (2011) Aldehyde dehydrogenase activity of breast cancer stem cells is primarily due to isoform ALDH1A3 and its expression is predictive of metastasis. Stem Cells. 29(1):32-45.
- Marcato, P., Dean, C.A., Giacomantonio, C.A., Lee, P.W.K. (2009) Oncolytic reovirus effectively targets breast cancer stem cells. Mol. Ther. 17(6):972-9.
- View additional publications on PubMed