Younes Anini, PhD
Associate Professor, Neuroendocrine and Reproduction Investigation Unit
5980 University Avenue/P.O. Box 9700
Halifax, Nova Scotia B3K 6R8
- Endocrinology and neuroendocrinology
- Type 2 diabetes
- Gestational diabetes
- Appetite control
- Energy homeostasis
- BSc (Ibn Zohr University, Agadir, Morocco)
- MSc (Pierre et Marie Curie University, Paris, France)
- PhD (Pierre et Marie Curie University, Paris, France)
- PDF (University of Toronto, Ottawa Hospital Research Institute)
The overall goal of my research is to investigate the cellular and molecular pathways involved in the regulation of energy homeostasis and determine the impact of energy balance-related hormones during pregnancy, early life and in adulthood. Our main interests lie in understanding the mechanisms that control metabolic hormones secretion and function and how this is disrupted in diabetes and obesity.
- Gagnon J, Sheppard E, Anini Y. Metformin Directly Inhibits Ghrelin Secretion through AMP-Activated Protein Kinase in Rat Primary Gastric Cells. Diabetes Obes Metab. 2013 Mar;15(3):276-9
- Gagnon J, Anini Y. Glucagon Stimulates Ghrelin Secretion Through the Activation of MAPK and EPAC and Potentiates the Effect of Norepinephrine. Endocrinology. 2013 Feb;154(2):666-74.
- Shin K, Pandey A, Liua X, Anini Y*, Jan K*. Raineya, "Preferential apelin-13 production by the proprotein convertase PCSK3 is implicated in obesity", FEBS Open Bio, 2013;3, 328–333
- Gagnon J, Anini Y. Insulin and norepinephrine regulate ghrelin secretion from a rat primary stomach cell culture. Endocrinology. 2012 Aug;153(8):3646-56.
- Anini Y, Mayne J, Gagnon J, Sherbafi J, Chen A, Kaefer N, Chrétien M, Mbikay M. Genetic deficiency for proprotein convertase subtilisin/kexin type 2 in mice is associated with decreased adiposity and protection from dietary fat-induced body weight gain. Int J Obes (Lond). 2010 Nov;34(11):1599-607.
Selected awards and honours
- Leaders Opportunity Fund Award - Canada Foundation for Innovation
- Edward Christie Stevens Post-graduate Award - University of Toronto, Canada
- Javenthey Soobiah Post-graduate Award - University of Toronto, Canada
- Canadian Obesity Network
- Canadian Diabetes Association
- American Diabetes Association
- The Endocrine Society
- Endocrine Physiology PHYL 5513/4324: Course Coordinator
- Core Concepts in Medical Physiology PHYL 3520 (GI & Endocrinology section)
- Human Physiology for Dentistry Dent 1119 (Endocrinology and Reproduction section)
Service & activity
Editorial board member:
- American Journal of Physiology: Endocrinology and Metabolism
Cell and tissue cultures: Pancreas cells, Gastro-intestinal cells. Adipocytes primary cell culture.
Procedures: Gene expression analysis, immunohistochemistry, immunocytochemistry, qRT-PCR, RIA, ELISA, siRNA, western blot. Diet induced obesity mouse models. Oral glucose tolerance test, Insulkin sensitivity test.
Blotting apparatus, culture hood, culture incubators, fluorescence microscope, departmental beta, gel apparatus, HPLC, infusion apparatus, low- and high-speed centrifuge, Multimode plate reader, real-time/thermocycler.