Focus Area 2: Medical Education Responsive to the Health Needs of the Maritimes
We will achieve this by:
1. Focusing on Family Medicine Training:
Providing excellent family medicine training opportunities across the Maritimes.
- Enhance exposure to family medicine experiences and family medicine faculty during the undergraduate MD program.
- Increase family medicine contribution to undergraduate curriculum.
- Effectively address the hidden curriculum regarding family medicine.
- Update Family Medicine Program Charter to reflect changing family medicine education challenges and directions.
- Prepare for three-year Family Medicine residency program.
- Develop family medicine training incubators across the Maritimes to enhance resident readiness for Maritime practice.
2. Focusing on Community Engagement:
Growing relationships with Maritime communities such that they see Dalhousie as their medical school.
- Seek significant input from community-based faculty in Faculty of Medicine curriculum delivery and leadership.
- Engage with community-based faculty so they see their context in the undergraduate and postgraduate curriculum.
- Engage with community-based faculty so they see Faculty of Medicine scholarship and leadership as career goals, irrespective of geography.
- Partner with communities to embrace medical education as a mechanism to enhance recruitment and retention.
- Work with communities to address issues of housing, and community integration for learners.
- Partner with other faculties, universities, and health authorities to enhance training supports.
- Proactively recruit Black and Indigenous students using strategies such as PLANS and the Indigenous student pathway.
- Enhance Faculty of Medicine outreach to underrepresented communities.
- Engage the assistance of medical students and residents working in Maritime communities to encourage local youth to pursue a career in medicine.
- Enhance collaboration with Indigenous and Black communities.
- Enhance collaboration with urban and rural communities.
- Explore partnership opportunities for community engagement with other faculties/health authorities.
3. Focusing on Residency Training Positions
Working with stakeholders to allocate resources to deliver the training programs to support the health needs of Maritimers.
Create a strategy for development of residency training program allocation to meet human resource needs.
Work with departments of health to facilitate the allocation of residency positions.
Ensure residency programs consider students with strong links to the Maritimes in determining selection criteria.
Facilitate access to residency training positions for Black, Indigenous, and other equity deserving groups.
Ensure residents in our postgraduate programs reflect the communities in which they work.