David Dupere, MD, FRCPC
Division head/chief, Associate professor
QEII - Bethune Building
1276 South Park Street
Suite 306 Bethune
Halifax, NS B3H 2Y9
- palliative medicine
- palliative medicine service delivery
- Residency, palliative medicine (McGill University)
- Residency, medical oncology (University of Alberta)
- Residency, internal medicine (Dalhousie University)
- MD (Dalhousie University)
- BA (University of New Brunswick)
- BSc (McGill University)
Dr. Dupere became Canada’s first accredited palliative medicine specialist in 2000 and has since taught and presented extensively on the topic. He is an associate professor of medicine at Dalhousie University and Head, Division of Palliative Medicine at the QEII Health Sciences Centre.
Dr. David Dupere is a Canadian authority on the delivery and teaching of palliative medicine.
- Blacquiere D, Gubitz G, Dupere D, McLeod D, Phillips S. Evaluating an Organized Palliative Care Approach in Patients with Severe Stroke in The Canadian Journal of Neurological Sciences, 36 (2009), 731-734.
- Santana M-J, Au H-J, Dharma-Wardene M, Hewitt J, Dupere D, Hanson J, Ghosh S, Feeny D. Health-related quality of life measures in routine clinical care: Can FACT-Fatigue help to assess the management of fatigue in cancer patients in International Journal of Technology Assessment in Health Care, 25:1 (2009), 90-96.
- Dupere D. Neuropathic Pain: An Options Overview in The Canadian Journal of CME vol. 18, No.2 February 2006.
- Head, Division of Palliative Medicine (2015 – current)
- Associate professor of medicine, Dalhousie University (2011 – current)
- Senior staff physician, QEII Health Sciences Centre (2007 – current)
- Assistant professor of medicine, Dalhousie University (2004 – 2011)
- Program director, palliative medicine residency program, Dalhousie University (2004 – 2015)
Service and activity (current)
- Member, subspecialty committee – palliative medicine, Royal College of Physicians & Surgeons of Canada
- Member, steering committee – hospice, Nova Scotia Health Authority
- Member, program of care for cancer, Nova Scotia Health Authority
- Member, executive committee, Department of Medicine
- Member, Gillian MacMichael lectureship committee, QEII Foundation
- Preceptor, year-long formal, informal teaching. Palliative medicine residency, Dalhousie University
- Presenter, resident academic half day, Department of Medicine, Dalhousie University
- MED 2 OSCE, MED 3 OSCE and Resident OSCE, Department of Medicine, Dalhousie University
- Tutor, Med 2 Patient-Doctor Unit, Medicine (Clinical Skills). Department of Medicine, Dalhousie University
- Preceptor, tutorial leader. Postgraduate palliative medicine electives, Dalhousie University
- Preceptor, tutorial leader. General medicine selective and A2 elective (palliative medicine). Dalhousie University
Selected awards and honours
- Excellence in Medical Education Award, Department of Medicine (2008)
- First accredited palliative medicine specialist in Canada (2000)