Mathers Professor and Research Director
2W Victoria, Room 2035
B3H 2Y9 Canada
- Optic nerve
- BSc (Glasgow College of Technology)
- PhD (University of Wales, Cardiff)
- PDF (University of British Columbia)
Professor Chauhan’s research is clinical and experimental glaucoma. Specific areas of interest include quantification of glaucoma progression to develop clinical tools for decision support and studies of experimental optic nerve damage to guide diagnostics and therapeutics. In both research areas, there is an emphasis on imaging and assessing function.
- Kamali T, Fischer J, Farrell S, Baldridge WH, Zinser G and Chauhan BC. Simultaneous in vivo confocal reflectance and two-photon retinal ganglion cell imaging based on a hollow core fiber platform. J Biomed Opt 23(9): 091405, 2018.
- Nuschke AC, Farrell SR, Levesque JM and Chauhan BC. Assessment of retinal ganglion cell damage in glaucomatous optic neuropathy. Axon transport, injury and soma loss. Exp. Eye Res. 141:111-124, 2015.
- Smith CA and Chauhan BC. Imaging retinal ganglion cells. Enabling experimental technology for clinical application. Prog. Ret. Eye Res. 44:1-14, 2015.
- Chauhan BC and Burgoyne CF. From clinical assessment of the optic disc to clinical assessment of the optic nerve head: A paradigm change. Am. J. Ophthalmol. 156:218-227, 2013.
- Chauhan BC, Mikelberg FS, Artes PH, Balazsi AG, LeBlanc RP, Lesk MR, Nicolela MT, Trope GE and the Canadian Glaucoma Study Group. Canadian Glaucoma Study: 3. Impact of risk factors and intraocular pressure reduction in the rates of visual field change. Arch. Ophthalmol. 128:1249-1255, 2010.
- Chauhan BC, Mikelberg FS, Balaszi AG, LeBlanc RP, Lesk MR and the Canadian Glaucoma Study Group. Canadian Glaucoma Study: 2. Risk factors for the progression of open-angle glaucoma. Arch. Ophthalmol. 126:1030-1036, 2008.
- Chauhan BC, Garway-Heath, DF, Goñi FJ, Rossetti L, Bengtsson B, Viswanathan AC and Heijl A. Practical recommendations for measuring rates of visual field change in glaucoma. Br. J. Ophthalmol, 92:569-73, 2008.
- Artes PH and Chauhan BC. Longitudinal changes in the visual field and optic disc in glaucoma. Prog. Ret. Eye Res. 24:333-354, 2005.
Selected awards and honours
- Alcon Research Institute Award
- President, Glaucoma Research Society
- Gold Fellow, Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology
- Achievement Award, American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Dr. R. Evatt and Rita Mathers Chair in Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences Research