Dr. Anna Greenshields completed her PhD and a MITACS fellowship at Dalhousie University. She then pursued a clinical ASHI fellowship at the Halifax HLA laboratory, becoming a Diplomat of the American Board of Histocompatibility and Immunogenetics and certified as an HLA laboratory director for solid organ and HSC/BM transplantation.
Currently, Dr. Greenshields acts as the Assistant Director of the Halifax HLA Laboratory at Nova Scotia Health and holds an Assistant Professorship in the Department of Pathology at Dalhousie University.
- PhD: Pathology, Dalhousie University
- MSc: Microbiology and Immunology, Dalhousie University
- BSc(H): Microbiology, University of Guelph
- Dulat Bekbolsynov, Beata Mierzejewska, Jadwiga Borucka, Robert S. Liwski, Anna L. Greenshields, Joshua Breidenbach, Bradley Gehring, Shravan Leonard-Murali, Sadik A. Khuder, Michael Rees, Robert C. Green II and Stanislaw M. Stepkowski. 2020. Low hydrophobic mismatch scores calculated for HLA-A/B/DR/DQ Loci improve kidney allograft survival. Front Immunol. 11:580752.
- Anna L. Greenshields, Melanie R. Power Coombs, Wasundara Fernando, Bruce Holbein, David W. Hoskin. 2019. DIBI, a novel 3-hydroxypyridin-4-one chelator iron-binding polymer, inhibits breast cancer cell growth and functions as a chemosensitizer by promoting S-phase DNA damage. Biometals. 32:909-921.
- Anna L. Greenshields, Isabelle Jollet, Robert S. Liwski, Jean-Luc Taupin, and Nicole M. Valenzuela. 2019. Abolishing serum interference in detection of HLA antibodies: Who, How, When and Why? Hum Immunol. 80:621-628.
- Anna L. Greenshields and Robert Liwski. 2019. The ABCs (DRDQDPs) of the prozone effect in single antigen bead HLA antibody testing: Lessons from our highly sensitized patients. Hum Immunol. 80:478-486.
- Anna L. Greenshields, Robert Bray, Howard Gebel, and Robert Liwski. 2019. Getting on target: development of the novel, prozone-resistant, Dual Antibody Rapid Test (DART) for the LABScreen single antigen bead (SAB) assay. Hum Immunol. 80:468-477.
- Anna L. Greenshields, Wasundara Fernando, David W. Hoskin. 2019. The anti-malarial drug artesunate causes cell cycle arrest and apoptosis of triple-negative MDA-MB-468 and HER2-enriched SK-BR-3 breast cancer cells. Exp Mol Path. 107:10-22.
- Alison Knickle, Wasundara Fernando, Anna L. Greenshields, Vasantha Rupasinghe, David W. Hoskin. 2018. Myricetin-induced apoptosis of triple-negative breast cancer cells is mediated by the iron-dependent generation of reactive oxygen species from hydrogen peroxide. Food Chem Toxicol. 118:154-167.
- Robert S. Liwski, Anna L. Greenshields, Cathi Murphey, Jorge Neumann, Robert A. Bray, Howard M. Gabel. 2017. Rapid optimized flow cytometric crossmatch (FCXM) assays: The Halifax and Halifaster protocols. Hum Immunol. 79(1):28-38.
- Fabrice Le Boeuf, Simon Gebremeskel, Nicole McMullen, Han He, Anna L. Greenshields, David W. Hoskin, John C. Bell, Brent Johnston, Chungen Pan, Roy Duncan. 2017. Reovirus FAST protein enhances vesicular stomatitis virus oncolytic virotherapy in primary and metastatic tumor models. Mol Ther Oncolytics. 6:80-89.
- Robert S. Liwski, Anna L. Greenshields, Cathi Murphey, Robert A. Bray, Howard M. Gabel. 2017. It’s about time: The development and validation of a rapid optimized single antigen bead (ROB) assay protocol for LABScreen. Hum Immunol. 78(7-8):489-499.
- Robert S. Liwski, Anna L. Greenshields, Robert A. Bray, Howard M. Gabel. 2017. Becoming a chef in the human leukocyte antigen kitchen: interpretation and modification of human leukocyte antigen-antibody assays. Curr Opin Organ Transplantation. 22(4):407-414.
- Scott D. Whitehouse, Pei-Lin Chen, Anna L. Greenshields, Mathew Nightingale, David W. Hoskin, and Karen Bedard. 2016. Antioxidant and NOX-inhibitor properties of bioactive chemicals from plant extracts. Phytomedicine. 23(12):1494-1503.
- Anna L. Greenshields, Trevor G. Shepherd and David W. Hoskin. 2016. Contribution of reactive oxygen species to ovarian cancer cell growth arrest and killing by the anti-malarial drug artesunate. Mol Carcinog. 56(1):75-93.
- Matthew L. Smith, Kaylee Murphy, Carolyn D. Doucette, Anna L. Greenshields, and David W. Hoskin. 2016. The dietary flavonoid fisetin causes cell cycle arrest, caspase-dependent apoptosis, and enhanced cytotoxicity of chemotherapeutic drugs in triple-negative breast cancer cells. J Cell Biochem. 117(8):1913-1925.