Professor and Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation - Atlantic Region Endowed Chair in Breast Cancer Research
Sir Charles Tupper Medical Building, Room 7D1
5850 College Street
PO Box 15000
Halifax Nova Scotia Canada B3H 4R2
- Cancer Biology
- Antimicrobial Peptides
- Iron Metabolism
- Natural Products
- BSc, McGill University
- PhD, McGill University
- Postdoctoral Training, Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute, University of Toronto
Professor Hoskin’s research interests include the anti-cancer and anti-inflammatory potential of natural source compounds, including antimicrobial peptides and phytochemicals found in common spices, fruits, and vegetables; and the manipulation of T lymphocyte signal transduction using natural source compounds and other novel agents for cancer control. His work is geared towards developing new treatments for breast cancer and other common cancers.
- C.D. Doucette, A. Hilchie, R. Liwski, and D.W. Hoskin. 2013. Piperine, a dietary phytochemical, inhibits angiogenesis. J. Nutr. Biochem. 24:231-239.
- K. Sutton, C.D. Doucette, and D.W. Hoskin. 2012. NADPH quinine oxidoreductase 1 mediates breast cancer cell resistance to thymoquinone-induced apoptosis. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Comm. 426:421-426.
- A. Hilchie, C.D. Doucette, D. Pinto, A. Patrzykat, S. Douglas, and D.W. Hoskin. 2011. Pleurocidin-family cationic antimicrobial peptides are cytolytic for breast carcinoma cells and prevent growth of tumor xenografts. Breast Cancer Res. 13: R102 (Editor’s Pick).
- J.L. Watson, R. Hill, P.B. Yaffe, A. Greenshields, M. Walsh, P.W. Lee, C.A. Giacomantonio, andD.W. Hoskin. 2010. Curcumin causes superoxide anion production and p53-independent apoptosis in human colon cancer cells. Cancer Lett. 297: 1-8.
Selected awards and honours
- Beatrice Hunter Cancer Research Institute Honorary Membership
- David T. Jannigan Teaching Award (Department of Pathology, 2010)
- Distinguished Service Award, Faculty of Graduate Studies, Dalhousie University
- Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation - Atlantic Region Endowed Chair in Breast Cancer Research
- Educator of the Year Award (Department of Microbiology & Immunology, 2002)
Other interests and achievements
- Cancer Letters Editorial Board Member
- Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation - Atlantic Region Board of Directors Member