Laurette Geldenhuys, MBBCH, FFPATH, MMED, FRCPC, MAEd, FCAP
5788 University Avenue,
Halifax, NS, B3H 1V8
- Gynaecological pathology
- Medical education
- History of medicine
- Physician wellness
- Planetary health
Laurette Geldenhuys is a nephropathologist, and has an interest in medical education, the history of medicine, physician wellness and planetary health.
Trained in South Africa and with a master’s degrees in Anatomical Pathology and Medical Education, Dr. Geldenhuys served as Division Head and Service Chief of Anatomical Pathology at the QEII Health Sciences Centre from 2012 to 2022.
She is a Past President of the Canadian Association of Pathologists (CAP-ACP), a Past Chair of the CAP-ACP Section of Patient Safety and Quality Assurance, and the CAP-ACP Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Committee and CPD Accreditation Sub-committee. She is also a Past Chair of the Canadian Alliance on Laboratory Medicine and past Executive Member of the Canadian Leadership Council on Laboratory Medicine. She was the Royal College CPD Educator for Nova Scotia for several years.
She is a recipient of the College of American Pathologists President’s Honors, the CAP-ACP President’s Award, the CAP-ACP Distinguished Service Award, the Royal College Specialist of the Year Award for Region 5, and the David T Janigan Teaching Award.
Dr. Geldenhuys is interested in recieving applications from:
|Medical students for projects
|Residents for projects||Yes|
|Prospective Graduate Students||No|
|Prospective Postdoctoral Fellows||No|
Education & Professional Designations
- Laboratory Medical Director Advanced Practical Pathology Program Certificate, College of American Pathologists, 2015
- Master of Arts in Education, Mount Saint Vincent University, 2005
- Certification in Cytopathology, International Board of Cytopathology, 1998
- Certification in Anatomical Pathology, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, 1998
- License of the Medical Council of Canada, 1997
- Master of Medicine in Anatomical Pathology, University of the Witwatersrand, South Africa, 1995
- Medical Council of Canada Evaluating Examination, 1995
- Certification in Anatomical Pathology, College of Medicine of South Africa, 1994
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery, with Distinction, University of the Witwatersrand, South Africa, 1987
- Dalhousie Medical School, Metabolism II, Nephrology
- Resident teaching
- Pathology residents
- Nephrology residents and fellows
- Thorne, j. et al. AA amyloid nephropathy: presentation, diagnosis and management. Accepted for publication by Kidney Medicine, May, 2022
- More K, et. Al. Q-uestioning the Diagnosis: An Educational Case Report. Accepted for publication by Can J Kidney Health Dis, March, 2022
- Geldenhuys L, Peladeau G, Cameron A. Choosing Wisely in Anatomical Pathology in Halifax: Reducing Resource Use by Expanding Laboratory Exemption List. Canadian Journal of Pathology 2022;14(4):12-16
- Poyah P, Bergman J, Geldenhuys L, Wright G, Walsh NM, Hull P, Roche K, West ML. Primary Hyperoxaluria Type 1 (PH1) Presenting With End-Stage Kidney Disease and Cutaneous Manifestations in Adulthood: A Case Report. Can J Kidney Health Dis. 2021 Nov 22;8:20543581211058931. doi: 10.1177/20543581211058931. PMID: 34840803; PMCID: PMC8613886.
- Horwich P, MacKay C, Bullock M, Taylor SM, Hart R, Trites J, Geldenhuys L, Williams B, Rigby MH. Specimen oriented intraoperative margin assessment in oral cavity and oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma. J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2021 Jun 21;50(1):37. doi: 10.1186/s40463-021-00501-5. PMID: 34154663; PMCID: PMC8218466.
- Geldenhuys L, Dow H, Ross C, Brimo F, Sarofim J, Yousef A, Yousef G. CAP-ACP Survey on COVID-19-Related Practices in Canadian Anatomical Pathology Laboratories. Canadian Journal of Pathology 2020;12(4):25-33
- Harrigan AM, West ML, Geldenhuys L, Poyah P. Renal-Limited Antiglomerular Basement Membrane Disease Related To Alemtuzumab: A Case Report. Can J Kidney Health Dis. 2020 Oct 15;7:2054358120962680. doi: 10.1177/2054358120962680. PMID: 33117548; PMCID: PMC7573726.
- Quinonez G, Geldenhuys L. Canadian contributions to the study of pathology. Hektoen International 2020;12(2): https://hekint.org/2020/06/12/canadian-contributions-to-the-study-of-pathology/
- Abdallaa M, Abdalla M, Siddiqi F, Geldenhuys L, et al. A common glomerular transcriptomic signature distinguishes diabetic kidney disease from other kidney diseases in humans and mice. Accepted for publication in Current Research in Translational Medicine, May, 2020
- Adam BA, Kikic Z, Wagner S, Bouatou Y, Gueguen J, Drieux F, Reid G, Du K, Bräsen JH, D'Agati VD, Drachenberg CB, Farkash EA, Brad Farris A, Geldenhuys L, Loupy A, Nickeleit V, Rabant M, Randhawa P, Regele H, Mengel M. Intragraft gene expression in native kidney BK virus nephropathy versus T cell-mediated rejection: Prospects for molecular diagnosis and risk prediction. Am J Transplant. 2020 May 5. doi: 10.1111/ajt.15980. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 32372431.
- Maung RT, Geldenhuys L, et al. Pathology Workload and Human Resources in Canada – Trends in the past 40 years and comparison to other medical disciplines. Canadian Journal of Pathology 2020;12(1):16-29