Expand your knowledge
Whether you're a practising pediatrician or a resident, you’ll find plenty of value in attending our Grand Rounds. Accredited by the Royal College as a Category 1 Continuing Professional Development activity, these Rounds cover a wide range of basic and clinical science topics relevant to pediatrics.
Although all members of the IWK community are invited, the presentations, which feature a mix of faculty, residents and visiting professors, are developed with pediatricians in mind.
When: January 2021 - June 2021
Time: 9 a.m. – 10 a.m.
Rounds will be broadcasted via Zoom: : https://dal-ca.zoom.us/j/93845555422?pwd=bkUwRjRwbTdOa05tenhQMEUyU2Zidz09
Meeting ID: 938 4555 5422 Passcode: 931655
|May 26, 2021||Topic: Rheumatology
Presenter: Dr. Bianca Lang
Title: Multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children (MIS-C) and Kawasaki-like illness associated with COVID-19
Be aware that SARS CoV-2 may be a trigger for a severe multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children (MIS-C)
Recognize the varied clinical presentations of MIS-C
Understand what laboratory testing may be helpful in making a diagnosis of MIS-C
Have an approach to management of patients with MIS-C
|June 2, 2021||Topic: PICU
Presenter: Dr. Kristina Krmpotic
Title: Pediatric Organ and Tissue Donation: Presumed Consent Legislation and Beyond
1) Understand the process of deceased organ and tissue donation.
2) Be aware of the new Nova Scotia legislation and other key components of high performing deceased donation programs.
3) Embrace the need to give every family the opportunity of a timely referral.
4) Share information about national, provincial and local initiatives.
|June 9, 2021||Topic: Medical Genetics
Presenter: Dr. Kellie Davis
Title: Genetic Considerations in the Hutterite Population
1) Gain a better understanding of the background for those in the Hutterite population.
2) Learn about resources around founder mutations and common syndromes.
3) Review common syndromes in the Hutterite population and a few features of each.
4) Case presentation.
|June 16, 2021||Topic: Child Protection or Palliative Care
Presenter: Dr. Amy Ornstein and Christina Shaffer
Title: Experiences from the SeaStar Child and Youth Advocacy Centre: Ten Year Review
1) Understand the Child and Youth Advocacy Centre (CYAC) model response to child maltreatment.
2) Highlight unique programs and services provided at SeaStar CYAC.
3) Understand the growth & evaluation of SeaStar CYAC over the past 10 years.
4) Highlight existing national and Atlantic partnerships of the CYAC model.
5) Describe future directions and opportunities for the CYAC model.
|June 23, 2021||Topic: Allergy
Learning Objectives: TBD
|June 30, 2021||Topic: TBD
Learning Objectives: TBD
|ROUNDS WILL RESUME SEPTEMBER 2021|