Conrad Fernandez, MD
Division Head Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, Professor
Room K7122, 7th Floor
IWK Health Centre
PO Box 9700
5850-5980 University Ave.
Halifax, NS B3K 6R8
- Wilms tumor
- Research ethics
- Return of genomic results
- Hon BSc, Genetics (University of Western Ontario)
- MD (McMaster University)
- FRCPC Pediatrics (Dalhousie University)
- Specialist Certificate Pediatric Hematology/Oncology (University of British Columbia)
Dr. Fernandez chair of the international Children’s Oncology Group Renal Tumors Steering Committee and conducts clinical trials in childhood kidney cancer. He also has an active research program in returning research results to participants.
- J Ehrlich PF, Chi YY, Chintagumpala MM, Hoffer FA, Perlman EJ, Kalapurakal JA, Tornwall B, Warwick A, Shamberger RC, Khanna G, Hamilton TE, Gow KW, Paulino AC, Gratias EJ, Mullen EA, Geller JI, Grundy PE, Fernandez CV, and Dome JS. Results of Treatment for Patients with Multi-centric, or Bilaterally-Predisposed Unilateral Wilms Tumor (AREN0534): A report from the Children’s Oncology Group. Accepted to Cancer.
- Daw NC, Chi YY, Kalapurakal JA, Hoffer FA, Geller JI, Perlman EJ, Ehrlich PF, Mullen EA, Warwick AB, Grundy PE, Gratias E, Ward D, Anderson JR, Fernandez CV, Dome JS on behalf of the AREN0321 Study Committee. Activity of vincristine and irinotecan in diffuse anaplastic Wilms tumor and therapy outcomes of stage II-IV disease: Results of the Children’s Oncology Group AREN0321 study. J Clin Oncol. 2020 Mar 5:JCO1901265. doi: 10.1200/JCO.19.01265. [Epub ahead of print]PMID:32134700.
- Parsons LN, Mullen EA, Geller J, Chi YY, Khanna G, Glick RD, Vallance KL, Kim Y, Fernandez CV, Dome JS, Perlman EJ. Outcome Analysis of Stage 1 Epithelial Predominant Favorable Histology Wilms tumors. A report from the Children’s Oncology Group Study AREN03B2. Cancer. 2020 Apr 8. doi: 10.1002/cncr.32855. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 32267967.
- Lauhasurayotin S, Cuvelier J, Klaassen RJ, Fernandez CV, Pastore YD, Abish S, Wu JK, Steele M, Jardine L, Breakey VR, Brossard J, Sinha R, Silva M, Goodyear L, Lipton JH, Michon B, Belletrutti MJ, Sung L, Stephen SW, Shabanova I,Li H, Zlateska B, Dhanraj S, Cada M, Dror Y. Re-analysis of next generation sequencing gene panel data by normalized coverage values unravel CNVs in bone marrow failure syndromes. NPJ Genom Med. 2019 Dec 9;4:30. doi: 10.1038/s41525-019-0104-9. eCollection 2019. PMID:31839986.
- Walz AL, Fernandez CV, Geller JI. Novel Therapy for Pediatric and Adolescent Kidney Cancer. Cancer and Metastases Reviews. 2019. .
- Dix DB, Fernandez CV* (co first author), Chi YY, Anderson J, Mullen EA, Geller JI, Gratias EJ, Khanna G, Kalapurakal JA, Perlman EJ, Seibel NL, Ehrlich PF, Malogolowkin M, Gastier-Foster J, Shamberger RC, Kim Y, Grundy PE, Dome JS. On behalf of the AREN0532 and AREN0533 study committees. Augmentation of therapy for favorable histology Wilms Tumor with combined loss of heterozygosity of chromosomes 1p and 16q: A report from the Children’s Oncology Group Studies AREN0532 and AREN0533. J Clin Oncol. 2019 Oct 20;37(30):2769-2777. doi: 10.1200/JCO.18.01972. Epub 2019 Aug 26. PMID:31449468.
- Tutelman PR, Chambers CT, Urquhart R, Fernandez CV, Heathcote LC, Noel M, Flanders A, Guilcher GMT, Schulte F, Stinson JN, MacLeod J, Stern M. When “A Headache is Not Just a Headache”: A Qualitative Examination of Parent and Child Experiences of Pain After Childhood Cancer. Psychooncology. 2019 Sep;28(9):1901-1909. doi: 10.1002/pon.5170. Epub 2019 Jul 16.PMID: 31276614.
- Daw NC, Chi YY, Kim Y, Mullen EA, Kalapurakal JA, Tian J, Khanna G, Geller JI, Perlman EJ, Ehrlich PF, Warwick A, Grundy PE, Fernandez CV and Dome JS on behalf of the AREN0321 Study Committee. Treatment of stage I anaplastic Wilms Tumor: A report from the Children’s Oncology Group. Eur J Cancer 2019; Sept; 118:58-66. PMID 31325873.
- Unguru Y, Bernhardt MB, Berg S, Johnson LM, Pyke-Grimm K, Woodman C, Fernandez CV on behalf of the Children’s Oncology Group Allocation Task Force Position Paper – Chemotherapy and Supportive Care Agents are Essential Medicines for Children with Cancer. JAMA Pediatr. 2019 May 1;173(5):477-484. doi: 10.1001/jamapediatrics.2019.0070. Published online March 4, 2019. PMID: 30830204.
- Ma J, Siminoski K, Alos N, Halton J, Ho J, Cummings E, Shenouda N, Matzinger MA, Lentle B, Jaremko J, Wilson B, Stephure D, Stein R, Sbrocchi AM, Rodd C, Lewis VA, Laverdière C, Israels S, Grant R, Fernandez CV, Dix DB, Couch R, Cairney E, Barr R, Atkinson S, Abish S, Moher D, Rauch F, Ward LM and the Canadian STOPP Consortium. Impact of vertebral fractures and glucocorticoid exposure on height deficits in children during treatment for leukemia. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2019 Feb 1;104(2):213-222. doi: 10.1210/jc.2018-01083. PMID: 30247635.
- Mullen EA, Chi YY, Hibbits E, Anderson JR, Steacy KJ, Geller JI, Green DM, Khanna G, Malogolowkin MH, Grundy PE, Fernandez CV and Dome JS. Impact of surveillance imaging modality on survival after recurrence in patients with Wilms tumor: A Report from the Children’s Oncology Group. J Clin Oncol. 2018 Oct 18. doi: 10.1200/JCO.18.00076. [Epub ahead of print] PMID:30335557.
- Friedman JM, Bombard Y, Cornel M, Fernandez CV, Junker AK, Plon SE, Stark Z, and Knoppers BM for the Paediatric Task Team of the Global Alliance for Genomics and Health Regulatory and Ethics Works team. Genome-wide Sequencing in Acutely-Ill Infants: Genome Medicine’s Critical Applicaiton? Genet Med. 2019 Feb;21(2):498-504. doi: 10.1038/s41436-018-0055-z. Epub 2018 Jun 12. PMID:29895853.
- Wolf SM, Scholtes E, Koenig BA, Petersen GM, Berry SA, Beskow LM, Daly MB, Fernandez CV, Green RC, LeRoy BS, Lindor NM, O’Rourke PP, Radecki Breitkopf C, Rothstein MA, Van Ness B, and Wilfond BS. Pragmatic Tools for Sharing Genomic Research Results with the Relatives of Living and Deceased Research Participants. J Law Med Ethics. 2018 Mar;46(1):87-109. doi: 10.1177/1073110518766024. Epub 2018 Mar 27. PMID: 30008546
Selected awards and honours
- Nominated: 2019 IWK Family Leadership Council Award for Excellence in Patient and Family Centred with Gloria Gallant and Hematology Team. Halifax, NS.
- Service and Leadership Award. 2018. Children’s Oncology Group. In recognition of role of founding Co-Chair, Return of Research Results committee.
- Nominated: 2011 IWK Health Centre Family Leadership Council’s Annual Award for Excellence in Patient and Family Centred Care, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.
- Department of Pediatrics Endowment Award 2010, Canadian research committee strategies assessment, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.
- Best poster 2008, Society of International Pediatrics Annual meeting, Other Section (Ethics), Berlin, Germany.
- Distinguished Service Award 2005, Dalhousie Health Sciences Research Ethics Board, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.
- Children’s Oncology Group
- American Society of Clinical Oncology
- American Society of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology
- American Society of Hematology
- International Society of Pediatric Oncology (SIOP)
- 2011 (09) - Head, Division of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, Department of Pediatrics, IWK Health Centre, Halifax, NS.
Selected service & activity
- 2019: Cell Line Advisory Subcommittee. Panel for Research Ethics. Secretariat for Responsible Conduct of Research. TriCouncil Policy of Canada. Member.
- 2019: PROFYLE Data Access Committee. Member.
- 2019: PROFYLE Publication Committee. Chair.
- 2019: Voting Body Steering Committee. Children’s Oncology Group. Vice Chair.
- 2019: Beatrice Hunter Cancer Research Institute. Research Committee. Chair.
- 2018: Department of Pediatrics. Division Heads Council. Chairperson
- 2017: Panel on Research Ethics. Secretariat on Responsible Conduct of Research. TriCouncil Policy of Canada. Member.
- 2016: Renal Tumor Steering Committee, Children's Oncology Group, Chair.
- 2016: Specialty Committee in Adolescents and Young Adults Oncology (AYA). Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons. Member.
- 2016: Atlantic Provinces Pediatric Hematology Oncology Network. Board member.
- 2015: PROFYLE. Terry Fox Research Institute national program to sequence high risk pediatric cancer patients. Ethics Node chair, Steering committee member, Site lead.