Conrad Fernandez, MD
Division Head Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, Professor
Room K7122, 7th Floor
IWK Health Centre
PO Box 9700
5850-5980 University Ave.
Halifax, NS B3K 6R8
- Wilms tumor
- Research ethics
- Return of genomic results
- Hon BSc, Genetics (University of Western Ontario)
- MD (McMaster University)
- FRCPC Pediatrics (Dalhousie University)
- Specialist Certificate Pediatric Hematology/Oncology (University of British Columbia)
Dr. Fernandez chair of the international Children’s Oncology Group Renal Tumors Steering Committee and conducts clinical trials in childhood kidney cancer. He also has an active research program in returning research results to participants.
- Gratias EJ, Dome JS, Jennings LJ, Anderson J, Grundy P, Mullen EA, Geller JI, Fernandez CV, Perlman EJ. Association of Chromosome 1q Gain with Inferior Survival in Favorable Histology Wilms Tumor: A Report from the Children’s Oncology Group. J Clin Oncol. 2016 Sep 10;34(26):3189-94.
- Elzinga KE, Khan OF, Tang AR, Fernandez CV, Elzinga C, Heng DYC, Vickers MM, Truong T, Tang PA. Adult Patient Perspectives on Clinical Trial Result Reporting: A survey of cancer patients. Clin Trials. 2016 Dec;13(6):574-581.Aug 23.
- Knoppers BM, Sénécal K, Boisjoli J, Borry P, Cornel M, Fernandez CV, Grewal J, Holm IA, Nelson E, Pinxten W, Shabani M, Tassé AM, Zawati M, Clayton EW on behalf of the P3G International Paediatric Research Platform. Attaining Majority in Biomedical Research: Re-contact for Consent? IRB: Ethics & Human Research. IRB vol. 39, no. 6 November - December 2016.
- Fernandez CV, EJ Perlman, EA Mullen, YY Chi, TE Hamilton, KW Gow, FA Ferrer, D Barnhart, PF Ehrlich, G Khanna, J Kalapurakal, T Bocking, V Huff, Q An, JI Geller, PE Grundy JR Anderson, JS Dome, RC Shamberger for the AREN0532 committee. Clinical outcome and biological predictors of relapse following nephrectomy only for Very Low Risk Wilms tumor (VLR WT). A report from Children’s Oncology Group AREN0532. Annals of Surgery. 2017 Apr;265(4):835-840.
- Unguru Y, Fernandez CV, Bernhardt B, Berg S, Pyke-Grimm K, Woodman C, Joffe S. An Ethical Framework for Allocating Scarce Life-saving Chemotherapy and Supportive Care Drugs for Childhood Cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2016 Jan 29;108(6). pii: djv392.
- Sénécal K, Rahimzadeh V, Knoppers BM, Fernandez CV, Avard D, Sinnett D. Statement of Principles on the Return of Research Results and Incidental Findings in Paediatric Research: A Multi-site Consultative Process. Genome. 2015 Dec;58(12):541-8.
- Fernandez CV, O’Connell C, Ferguson M, Orr AC, Robitaille JM, Knoppers BM, McMaster CR. Stability of Attitudes to the Ethical Issues Raised in the Return of Incidental Genomic Research Findings in Children – A Follow up Study. Public Health Genomics. 2015 Sept 2015;18(5):299-308.
Selected awards and honours
- Nominated: 2011 IWK Health Centre Family Leadership Council’s Annual Award for Excellence in Patient and Family Centred Care, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.
- Department of Pediatrics Endowment Award 2010, Canadian research committee strategies assessment, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.
- Best poster 2008, Society of International Pediatrics Annual meeting, Other Section (Ethics), Berlin, Germany.
- Distinguished Service Award 2005, Dalhousie Health Sciences Research Ethics Board, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.
- Children’s Oncology Group
- American Society of Clinical Oncology
- American Society of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology
- American Society of Hematology
- International Society of Pediatric Oncology (SIOP)
- 2011 (09) - Head, Division of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, Department of Pediatrics, IWK Health Centre, Halifax, NS.
Selected service & activity
- 2017: Panel on Research Ethics. Secretariat on Responsible Conduct of Research. TriCouncil Policy of Canada. Member.
- 2016: Program of Care for Cancer (Nova Scotia). Quality Improvement and Safety Council Committee and the Health Services Planning – Steering Committee. Member.
- 2016: Renal Tumor Steering Committee, Children's Oncology Group, Chair.
- 2016: Specialty Committee in Adolescents and Young Adults Oncology (AYA). Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons. Member.
- 2016: Atlantic Provinces Pediatric Hematology Oncology Network. Board member.
- 2015: PROFYLE. Terry Fox Research Institute national program to sequence high risk pediatric cancer patients. Ethics Node chair, Steering committee member, Site lead.