» Go to news main
OPINION: Local mental health guide a promising tool for teachers
Renowned expert in adolescent mental health and leader in mental health research, Dr. Stan Kutcher launched the Mental Health Academy in 2006.
The academy uses evidence-based research and programs to train educators in supporting their students.
In late July, over 400 teachers and school service providers attended the academy, hosted at Halifax West High School, for a two-day conference focusing on child and teen mental health.
"Good mental health literacy programs tend to exhibit four components: understanding how to obtain and maintain good mental health; understanding mental disorders and their treatments; decreasing stigma; and enhancing help-seeking efficacy (knowing when, where, and how to obtain proper care)."
Read more in the Chronicle Herald.
- Dal Med Innovator | Dr. Karen Mann
- Dal bioethicist urges academics to stimulate debate on hot‑button topics
- First woman in Canada to become a Dean of Medicine accepts Trailblazer Award
- Grad Profile: On a mission to improve mother and baby health around the world
- Grad Profiles: Stepping forward while looking back
- Impact Players
- Med students give community organizations a helping hand
- Dal epidemiologist shows probiotics prevent C. difficile in hospital