» Go to news main
OPINION: Local mental health guide a promising tool for teachers
Renowned expert in adolescent mental health and leader in mental health research, Dr. Stan Kutcher launched the Mental Health Academy in 2006.
The academy uses evidence-based research and programs to train educators in supporting their students.
In late July, over 400 teachers and school service providers attended the academy, hosted at Halifax West High School, for a two-day conference focusing on child and teen mental health.
"Good mental health literacy programs tend to exhibit four components: understanding how to obtain and maintain good mental health; understanding mental disorders and their treatments; decreasing stigma; and enhancing help-seeking efficacy (knowing when, where, and how to obtain proper care)."
Read more in the Chronicle Herald.
- Dr. Margaret Casey: a crusader for community‑based health care
- Dal Med student receives Canadian Medical Hall of Fame Award
- The gift of time: retirement allows Dal doc to pursue her passions
- Student‑run program showcases careers in different medical specialties
- Dr. Joni Guptill, Running in where everyone else is running out
- Elective in Canada's North: Rural family medicine in Iqaluit
- Dal working to support Saudi students in wake of potential withdrawal
- Big commitment: med students prep for Big Swim charity fundraiser