G. Allen Finley, MD, FRCPC, FAAP
IWK Health Centre, 8th floor (south)
5850 University Ave., Halifax, NS B3K 6R8
- Pediatric pain
- Global advocacy for improved pediatric pain management
- Measurement and management of pediatric pain
- Audible alarm signals
- Perioperative anxiety
- Awareness and memory
- Medical director, Pediatric Pain Service, IWK Health Centre
- Dr. Stewart Wenning Chair in Pediatric Pain Management, IWK Health Centre
Dr. Finley’s main focus is advocacy for improved pain management in children, in both the developing and developed world. The Canadian Institutes of Health Research and the Global Health Research Initiative fund his work. He has over 90 peer-reviewed publications to his credit and has given more than 190 presentations, by invitation, on six continents. Dr. Finley started the PEDIATRIC-PAIN e-mail discussion list in 1993, bringing together pain researchers and clinicians from more than 40 countries.
- Chorney JM, McGrath PJ, Finley GA. Salon: Pain as the neglected adverse event. Can Med Assoc J 2010
- Stewart S, Abidi SSR, Finley GA. Linking specialized online medical discussions to online medical literature [PDF - 367 KB] [full paper, peer-reviewed]. In Denecke K et al. (Eds) Using Web Data in the Medical Domain – Proc 1st Intl Workshop on Web Science and Information Exchange in the Medical Web (MedEx 2010). Raleigh, NC.
- Wright KD, Stewart SH, Finley GA. When are parents helpful? A randomized, clinical trial of the efficacy of parental presence. Can J Anesth 2010; 57(8): 751-758 [epub – doi: 10.1007/s12630-010-9333-1]
- Wright KD, Eisner A*, Stewart SH, Finley GA. Measurement of preoperative anxiety in young children: Observer-rated versus self-report. J Psychopathol Behav Assess 2010; 32(3): 416-427. [doi: 10.1007/s10862-009-9158-9]
- Schechter NL, Finley GA, Bright NS, Laycock M, Forgeron PA. ChildKind: A global initiative to reduce pain in children. Pediatric Pain Letter 2010 (Dec); 12(3) [in press]
Selected research studies
- 2008-10 CIHR – Planning Grant: Global Health Research (GA Finley, PA Forgeron, MB Linhares): Collaborative program for children's pain management in Brazil. [#189896]
- 2009-15 CIHR Strategic Training Initiative (PJ McGrath, KD Craig, GA Finley, RE Grunau, C Johnston, BJ Stevens, CL von Baeyer): Pain in Child Health, an innovative, international, trans-disciplinary research training consortium, Phase II
- 2010-15 CIHR Operating (Chorney JE, Finley GA, McGrath PJ, Howard J, El-Hawary R, Ouellet J, Valois T, Andreou P): Pain at home in children following major surgery: Physical, psychological, and economic consequences.
- 2010-11 NSHRF REDI Catalyst Award (Latimer M, Finley GA, Inglis SH, Young SA): Understanding pediatric pain in aboriginal populations.
- 2010-11 Ministério da Saúde, Brasil (Martinez FE, Linhares MBM, Carlotti AP, Moreira ME, Marinho M de F, Finley GA): Projeto Hospital CuidaDor.
Selected memberships/service and activity
- Co-chair/director of ChildKind, a global initiative to reduce pain in children’s healthcare.
- Chair of the Treatment Guidelines Development Group, World Health Organization
- Persisting Pain in Children with Medical Illness, World Health Organization
- Member, Expanded Review Panel, Pediatric Pain Guidelines, World Health Organization
Selected Awards and honours
- The Jeffrey Lawson Award for Advocacy in Children’s Pain Relief from the American Pain Society